Default Motivation for competency

I need to submit applications for additional rifle and shotgun competency. My handgun competency is still in the process, and the DFO said I can submit the others.
    Does one need to submit supporting motivation for a competency? Or is the motivation only required for the actual firearm licence?

User

Default Re: Motivation for competency

No. How can jou? Licence is another story,prove a need for the firearm itself by pointing out why jou need it and why it is suitable for the task at hand

User

You don't state whether your additional need for competencies are for private use, but however you only need to obtain the proficiency certificates from your training provider and then you can submit those applications for (additional) competency at the DFO.

It is only for Section 13 where you need to prove "the need" for the firearm. Once again, if you apply for Sec 15 or 16 type licenses, your "documentary proof" that are indeed a Sec 15 or 16 type shooter is what you must prove and stress in your application, You could apply for such licenses simultaneously when submitting your application for the competencies. You obviously know about the limitations on the number of firearms per license. The motivation for the license is a skill, some people submit "portfolios" (I reckon that is overkill) and others - like current champions - only submit the necessary in a brief but detailed manner - and they get their licenses. The waiting period is about 6 months!

User

+100 skopos. That's obviously 6 months if jou already have the competency

User

Actually, I have many clients that obtained their licenses within 3 months after receival of their competency certificate. Also for a good number it took 6 onths altogether. Yes, there are the 12 months, etc. guys, but in "most" cases the applicant omitted to "stick to the plan" and the check's one can follow to ensure the 'system' is working on your application.

User

cool. Now it is time for a beer so that i can pick jour brain hpy180

Thanks for the info.

Is this the SkoposGuns from the old days of IPSC in Cape Town? Adrian Punt here (Junior!). Good to see you are still involved in the shooting sports.

Quote Originally Posted by SkoposGuns
    It is only for Section 13 where you need to prove "the need" for the firearm. Once again, if you apply for Sec 15 or 16 type licenses, your "documentary proof" that are indeed a Sec 15 or 16 type shooter is what you must prove and stress in your application, You could apply for such licenses simultaneously when submitting your application for the competencies. The motivation for the license is a skill, some people submit "portfolios" (I reckon that is overkill) and others - like current champions - only submit the necessary in a brief but detailed manner - and they get their licenses.
    I tend to disagree. Licence applications, under all sections must be properly motiviated. This implies demonstrating a need. For instance, lets say you are a decicated sportsman by virtue of your participation in sporting clays. You will not be able to licence a handgun for this purpose, regardless of your dedicated status. One must still show why you need the particular firearm for which you are making application and why nothing else in your arsenal can fulfill that role.

When applying there is, in my view, no such thing as overkill. Its a bit like carrying spare ammo. Rather have too much and not need it. Remember that if you don't put it in your original application you can't put it in your appeal.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

+1000 ssp. I couldnt agree more