Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Balistix Bullets Review and interesting observations.

Peregrine and Safari bullet co were quick to respond to my queries and were very helpful.Great customer service from them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MohamedD View Post
    Peregrine and Safari bullet co were quick to respond to my queries and were very helpful.Great customer service from them.
    Great to hear. If I ever burn through my stock of Hornady's I will definitely be looking local to resupply.

Quote Originally Posted by Koekie Monster View Post
    This is great to hear. I just bought 180gr Balistix for a new 303Brit.
    Really curious to hear how this performs. From what I know of monolithics in general, and Huntac in particular, this sounds too slow to expand. Please update us on performance on animals.

On the above point, I am thinking of an "everything" load for 6.5 Grendel. By "everything", I mean everything up to about blesbok, perhaps black wildebeest size at ranges from 0-150m. Maybe even warthog. The idea being that it wouldn't require different loads, decision making or too much thinking for whatever my wife and kids would use it for, which would be game of that size. For larger animals, they have access to the 308.

From what I see in the Huntac range, it would likely be the 115gr at 2500fps in front of 27gr of S321. I estimate the impact velocity at 150m to be about 2100fps and 2000fps at 200m.

My question - would there be enough expansion for shots with no major bone hit, especially those that only hit the outskirts of a lung or two? Is something like Peregrine or TTSX a better call? Or rather just stick to old fashioned loads like Interlock 129gr at 2350fps, that sit right in the middle of my comfort zone?

Thanks

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stef1274 View Post
    Really curious to hear how this performs. From what I know of monolithics in general, and Huntac in particular, this sounds too slow to expand. Please update us on performance on animals.

On the above point, I am thinking of an "everything" load for 6.5 Grendel. By "everything", I mean everything up to about blesbok, perhaps black wildebeest size at ranges from 0-150m. Maybe even warthog. The idea being that it wouldn't require different loads, decision making or too much thinking for whatever my wife and kids would use it for, which would be game of that size. For larger animals, they have access to the 308.

From what I see in the Huntac range, it would likely be the 115gr at 2500fps in front of 27gr of S321. I estimate the impact velocity at 150m to be about 2100fps and 2000fps at 200m.

My question - would there be enough expansion for shots with no major bone hit, especially those that only hit the outskirts of a lung or two? Is something like Peregrine or TTSX a better call? Or rather just stick to old fashioned loads like Interlock 129gr at 2350fps, that sit right in the middle of my comfort zone?

Thanks
    I’ve been down this path.

6.5 Grendel = Delayed Kills and a very small margin for error.

I’m not sure it is a caliber suited to beginners for hunting. It is a paper-puncher in my books. For hunting, limited only to close distances on the smallest of game. Most certainly taking on any Wildebeest at any range is a very big ask for this little cartridge.

I’d rather use a .223 with a Barnes or similar deep penetrating bullet as a far safer choice for women or small children. Then also, limited to nothing more than a Blesbuck. From there step up to a .243 Winchester or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I’ve been down this path.

6.5 Grendel = Delayed Kills and a very small margin for error.

I’m not sure it is a caliber suited to beginners for hunting. It is a paper-puncher in my books. For hunting, limited only to close distances on the smallest of game. Most certainly taking on any Wildebeest at any range is a very big ask for this little cartridge.

I’d rather use a .223 with a Barnes or similar deep penetrating bullet as a far safer choice for women or small children. Then also, limited to nothing more than a Blesbuck. From there step up to a .243 Winchester or so.
    Thank you.

Curious though - in what way do you consider a .243 Win better than a 6.5 Grendel in terms of the "killing power"? From your post I assume you regard it as better, as you recommend it. I also assume that killing power is the metric we are discussing here, as per the first line in your post.

And for that matter, same question on the .223

Thanks

As much as I like monometals, in the Grendel I wouds stick with a softer bullet, unless you can use a lighter copper option (e.g. 100gr TTSX) at closer ranges. That 100gr TTSX in the .260Rem has proven extemely effective up to cow elk and moose. There is a guy locally who has used his Grendel on game up to moose, and numerous deer. Northern white tails are much chunkier than any impala or blesbuck, closer to a hartebeast cow in size (bucks can run 100kgs+). He gets great performance with the 123gr SST at Grendel velocities. The 120gr proHunter has worked well and in my Howa Mini the 120gr Pro hunter shot extremely well. I believe Koos Barnard used them for game up to a waterbuck cow in the Grendel. I got the 100gr TTSX up to 2780fps in my Grendel but never used it on game before selling it.

The Grendel isnt a speed demon, but is effective. I would use a slightly softer bullet, or keep monometals lighter, faster and closer for decent impact velocities. The Barnes Tac-x 115gr is apprently made for the Grendel, but I would verify. I have only used the 129gr Interlock on a black bear, MV of 2650fps from a 6.5x55, and a 50m shot. Needless to say it worked and expanded very well...

Quote Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
    As much as I like monometals, in the Grendel I wouds stick with a softer bullet, unless you can use a lighter copper option (e.g. 100gr TTSX) at closer ranges. That 100gr TTSX in the .260Rem has proven extemely effective up to cow elk and moose. There is a guy locally who has used his Grendel on game up to moose, and numerous deer. Northern white tails are much chunkier than any impala or blesbuck, closer to a hartebeast cow in size (bucks can run 100kgs+). He gets great performance with the 123gr SST at Grendel velocities. The 120gr proHunter has worked well and in my Howa Mini the 120gr Pro hunter shot extremely well. I believe Koos Barnard used them for game up to a waterbuck cow in the Grendel. I got the 100gr TTSX up to 2780fps in my Grendel but never used it on game before selling it.

The Grendel isnt a speed demon, but is effective. I would use a slightly softer bullet, or keep monometals lighter, faster and closer for decent impact velocities. The Barnes Tac-x 115gr is apprently made for the Grendel, but I would verify. I have only used the 129gr Interlock on a black bear, MV of 2650fps from a 6.5x55, and a 50m shot. Needless to say it worked and expanded very well...
    Thanks. Yes, Koos used it on what you said, plus some kudu cow after the article. Spoke to him a lot in last week or so, as that is the actual rifle I am buying ;) Getting 200 120gr Sierra PH's as part of the deal.

User

Thank you.

Curious though - in what way do you consider a .243 Win better than a 6.5 Grendel in terms of the "killing power"? From your post I assume you regard it as better, as you recommend it. I also assume that killing power is the metric we are discussing here, as per the first line in your post.

And for that matter, same question on the .223
    Firstly, I consider the .243 Winchester to be more a Varmint Cartridge than a Hunting Cartridge. The velocity it achieves is totally destructive on targets. That being said, I am generally more inclined to heavy for caliber traditional style bullets. One of my all time favourites is a 162gr A-Max out of a 7x57 at about 2480fps. The limitations being anything more than Kudu being a stretch too far. Apart from them getting the job done, their cheaper price means hunters will be more likely to practice. A cringe induced flinch would develop with me everytime I send a Barnes into a backstop.

The above 7x57 load is a fantastic bullet for someone starting out on their hunting journey. It really knocks animals down, even if the shot is slightly off the mark, albeit with a little wasted meat. The experience overall is however much more positive than a wounded animal out in the bush.

The recoil on the 7x57 might still be a tad too much for children or recoil sensitive shooters. This is where the .243 Winchester comes into its own. If you load a stout, deep penetrating bullet, it can be employed the same as the 7x57 load above, but with even less recoil. I am generally averse to them due to the limited barrel life and their cases being prone to forming doughnuts.

My experience on game with 6.5 Grendel is that a 120gr bullet at about 2290fps just doesn’t cause enough damage to effect fast and ethical kills. It is a wonderful little range gun and I think the barrel will outlast most, but it has limited use as a hunting cartridge.

I then also see velocities mentioned in the 2700-2800fps range. I find this highly unlikely with bullets in the 100gr and up class. Especially from a 20” barrel in a Mini Action. Unfortunately the 6.5 Grendel sits at the kiddies table and should not be mentioned with the likes of the .260 Remington, 6.5x55 or 6.5 Creedmoor.

I am interested to see how the 6ARC would do for this purpose.

Regards,
    Wesley

Thanks Wesley. Going to try our luck with 129gr at 2300fps or 100gr premium at about 2600fps. Those figures are generally accepted as adequate small game hunting combinations, and I can't see why it would mean something else when the same projectile is sent from a 6.5 Grendel.

If a 174gr soft at 2300fps could knock down kudu and wildebeest for 100 years, then I think a 129gr at the same speed and a stronger bullet construction would be fine for blesbok size, at least.

A discussion on minimum calibers for any given game is always polarising.
    I suspect you would find that the older English large-bore all-purpose rifles (.404 Jeffery, .416 Rigby and their flanged double-rifle equivalents) will have even less effect on medium-sized game than a 6.5 Grendel with identical shot placement. Yet I have never heard anybody saying they are not enough gun for anything except elephant in dense growth.

I have hunted a fair number of Impala and the odd Widebeest with old black powder rifles, and the visible effect is minimal unless you hit brain or spine. But with any reasonably well placed shot, the buck is dead. On the other hand it doesn't drop on the spot and there is usually very little blood.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast