Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Agree with that but stand by my comment re the hypocrisy of advocating against and vilifying guns and their owners while using them to make buckets of money.
    Understand that, but it's hardly the point. There's a lot to condemn, but let's wait for a few more facts to come to light.

User

Default Re: Article: "Alec Baldwin Shot and Killed Female Cinematographer, Injured Director on Movie Set"

Quote Originally Posted by VNI View Post
    If that was an actual prop gun used in the movie, with live ammunition, on set, unsupervised, the armorer is probably going to take the fall.
    And for a reason: it's his fault unless the loaded gun was planted there by a third party.

I think Alec Baldwin is an ass. That aside, his job is to act and rely 100% on the armourer. This may come as a shock to most people: gun safety rules don't apply when making movies. When you shoot a scene, or rehearse for one, there will be a large bunch of people behind the camera right in front of you. That's where you point your gun and fire blanks. Pointing at people. I know, sounds bad to us but this is how they operate in the movie world and how about a shootout? Yes, you point the gun at people and fire blanks when making movies.

There's a good reason why so many productions are nowadays using airsoft non-guns and add muzzle blasts and flying brass in post.

User

Default Re: Article: "Alec Baldwin Shot and Killed Female Cinematographer, Injured Director on Movie Set"

Any news on the firearm used?
    It’s a western movie, so must be something old.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    It’s a western movie, so must be something old.
    Usually reproductions by Uberti or some other reproduction maker. The real old guns are way too expensive for movie production rentals.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    Usually reproductions by Uberti or some other reproduction maker. The real old guns are way too expensive for movie production rentals.
    No I get that but I was merely wondering about the ballistics of the weapon, it cant be AR-type ballistics, it's either some type of winchester rifle reproduction or colt pistol reproduction, which also leads to the question why they would have live ammo for that on set.
    Only two options, someone planted it or the armorer uses it for normal shooting as well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    This is why Keanu Reeves trained so damn hard for the John Wick series, SAFETY.
    Not according to Mr. Reeves, he told he trained so the scene would look right. To my knowledge they didn't use functioning firearms during the sets.

No bangs:

User

My brother is in the movie business and he reckons the actors have FA to do with the guns other than pointing them and pulling the triggers. Protocol on the sets he has worked on is that they are handed to them from the armourers in the firearms unit and taken back from them immediately after the take. The actors are no more involved with the guns than they are with sound and lighting. Also told me that on every handover the guns are independently checked by two armourers to verify their state. No idea if his experience is industry standard but nonetheless whatever went wrong here, it must have been pretty fundamental.

User

I've heard very much the same: they will not give the actor any responsibilities beyond the acting itself for liability reasons. The guy I bought my AR-15 SP1 from is a professional movie armourer and pyrotechnic working at this moment in the USA and he's been a good inside source for information on the subject.

I was on a set once in South Africa. Was invited by the person supplying the Firearm on set. Cassie Carstens.

Anyhow those handguns could not shoot a Live Round. The barrels were modified to work with the blanks used.

So in this case a real firearm was used not even one dedicated as a modified one for film use. And it was loaded with live rounds.

Also I dont see how Alec is blamed so quickly. As he is merely the actor given a tool by supposedly qualified staff to use. The fault is with who gave him the tools.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Also I dont see how Alec is blamed so quickly. As he is merely the actor given a tool by supposedly qualified staff to use. The fault is with who gave him the tools.
    Meh... so I don't think he gets to skate so easily.

He's a professional performer who is using a firearm as part of his professional career. There MUST BE some kind of responsibility that attaches as a result. I would be horrified if this laisezz faire attitude was standard or even common practice. If, indeed, he is just a dumb beast he should have been more strictly kept.

Contrast this with Will Smith's behavior in the famous gun safety clip. These are supposedly sentient beings. They should act like it.

This is why we teach kids at pre-school to look right/left, look left/right, look right/left again before crossing a road. We don't expect them to be able to drive, but we don't want them run over either.
    Last edited by Paul; 22-10-2021 at 12:19.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast