Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Replacement of self defence gun

I want to replace my current self defence gun. Problem is, according to the DFO at my police station, that I cannot do this. According to him I must get rid of my current piece before I can apply for the replacement. That means I will have to go unarmed for who knows how long or maybe forever for a new license to be granted. I reckon it must be possible to apply for the replacement license and as soom as it is granted I will get my current gun out of my possession by handing in for destruction or giving it to a gunshop if they want it. Anyone that did a replacement without having to go unarmed, please inform me what you did and what sections of the law are relevant here. I must convince my DFO that it can be done. (I hope it is possible, otherwise I'm stuck with what I have)

ADOONS

User

Default Re: Replacement of self defence gun

I'm sure you can complete an affidavit that states you will be getting rid of your current firearm on condition that your new application is approved.

User

You can apply but your license will be granted on the provision you first get rid of other handgun then your license is issued. This is what the bastards did to me

User

I did it. Was without my gun for about a month (IIRC). Lots of calling and faxing though. It still is a "new" application though, so don't skimp with the motivation, etc. Took just as long as a new application too, so don't think you'll get a new gun this way any faster.

User

i think your best bet is to apply for a new sd gun n at the same time apply for your current gun as a sports gun that way if all works out you have 2 guns else u'v still got your current gun.

What if your previous SD gun licensed under the previous system was stolen prior to the new license being issued?
    How would/will that affect any new applications?

User

A question,

How about applying for a section 21. Permission to take possession?

The Posse should be able to advise.

User

I would just apply for the new gun as a sport handgun. As we saw in a thread awhile back it does not matter what gun you use for sd as long as the action was justified and the gun licensed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    I would just apply for the new gun as a sport handgun. As we saw in a thread awhile back it does not matter what gun you use for sd as long as the action was justified and the gun licensed.
    Just be very careful with this. Although there are not clear guidelines with this, you will have a good ol' time trying to explain why you are carrying your Section 15 firearm around for SD.

If you were, for example, at home, busy cleaning your sport firearm and an incident occured that required you to defend yourself, then you would be fully justified using your sport firearm (or any other firearm) to defend yourself.

Walking around with a Section 15 on your hip treating it as your SD firearm could make things difficult for you when the rubber hits the road.

User

Because it is so difficult to motivate (tell them exactly what they want to hear) a SD handgun, if you only had a section 15 license... would you carry it? Seeing as though there are many incidents of armed robbery and hijackings and home invasion all around this area and there are also plenty of shooting ranges in the area too. I would think I would be justified to carry my weapon if I saw fit to do so.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast