User

Default Finally pulled the trigger!

Hi

Since I were a small boy my dad would make biltong and sausage. Learned the art from him.

Since living in France I started making my own again because boerewors is like unobtainium over here. I started off with a small grinder that I bought for €30 to mince and stuff the wors. That grinder didn't last long and neither did the 3 I bought to replace it with. Also bought a sausage stuffer for €60 but that gave up the ghost very soon as the base plate bent and the seal broke.

Since the start of Covid I started playing online poker again and managed to grind up from €30 to around €5k, but have been making regular withdrawals, once because I saw an absolute awesome Weber, once because I wanted a plancha and I've also paid my hunting permits and stuff like that from that money - which is around €600 per year.

Last year I decided to get a proper grinder. Sick of standing there and grinding for 10 min with the small one and then having to wait for 10 min while it cools down. So I used some of my winnings to buy a Reber 9501N. Grinds 20kgs of meat in the blink of an eye. I'm also using it to stuff the sausage but this takes a lot of time.

I normally order 10kgs of brisket at the start of the month and grind it for us and freeze it to make burgers, bolognaise or tacos with. Cuts down a lot on the food budget and I know that it is not 20% squirrel or horse or meerkat.

This week I played well and had bit of luck and won 4 tournaments. As I were on my way to the abattoir I started thinking about the sausage stuffer I had my eye on for the last 3 years. When I got back home I decided that is it. I'm getting my stuffer - bought it as soon a I got home and normally Amazon will be delivering a Reber 6.8L sausage stuffer in the next 10 days!!! Can't wait to try it out! My dad has one in SA and he's been using it for the last 30 odd years.

Cheers

User

Default Re: Finally pulled the trigger!

Hey, the 20% surprise meat is where all the flavor comes in.

I have a mate whose father in law will never buy processed meat. He will rather starve.
    Once or twice a year, he turns his garage into a butcher and processes his own meat. He buys the carcasses from a farmer he trusts.

Makes everything himself, makes kg's of mince and wors at a time. My mate says you cant compare the wors he makes to what you can buy. His in law's wors is apparently amazing.

I struggle to find boerewors I like. I have been tempted to make my own, but the entry level equipment has so much mixed review on the quality.

How easy is it for you to get the spice for wors? Do you make your own blend?

User

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    I struggle to find boerewors I like. I have been tempted to make my own, but the entry level equipment has so much mixed review on the quality.

How easy is it for you to get the spice for wors? Do you make your own blend?
    You can start as I did with a El Cheapo grinder that doubles as a stuffer.

I can't get commercially made spices like Freddie Hirsch - although my parents bring over a bag or two every 2 years - I just make my own - start with 1.5% salt to your meat weight. Add 1/3 of that in pepper and nutmeg, cumin and coriander like you want. Experiment and write it down - Next time less of this and more of that.

Over here you can only get 3 types of spice blends - Merguez - a spicy type of North African lamb sausage, chipolata - a type of pork sausage and saucisse de toulousse - a pork sausage that look like boerewors but doesn't taste like it at all. A lot of the butchers order and use these sausage spices - which is a shame because then everything tastes the same. Doesn't matter what shop you go to it just stays the same. There are exceptions of course!

Cheers

User

Fantastic thing to do. As a youngster I had the opportunity to moonlight in a smallish butchery and we made works 100kg at a time. I still think it was the best wors I've ever eaten.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    You can start as I did with a El Cheapo grinder that doubles as a stuffer.

I can't get commercially made spices like Freddie Hirsch - although my parents bring over a bag or two every 2 years - I just make my own - start with 1.5% salt to your meat weight. Add 1/3 of that in pepper and nutmeg, cumin and coriander like you want. Experiment and write it down - Next time less of this and more of that.

Over here you can only get 3 types of spice blends - Merguez - a spicy type of North African lamb sausage, chipolata - a type of pork sausage and saucisse de toulousse - a pork sausage that look like boerewors but doesn't taste like it at all. A lot of the butchers order and use these sausage spices - which is a shame because then everything tastes the same. Doesn't matter what shop you go to it just stays the same. There are exceptions of course!

Cheers
    Start up a business selling your own spice mix to the local butchers

User

It arrived a week and a half early! I'm super chuffed. The Ferrari of sausage suffers! Will be making 10 kilos of droë wors tonight!

Sent from my STK-LX1 using Tapatalk

That’s very nice.

A mate of mine brought his 8kg stuffer from SA. Paid a pretty penny for it back there too, but it works great.

We also make our own spice mix. Having to roast and grind the coriander etc. It’s labour intensive but we make the best boerewors I’ve ever had. And I now have loads of it at any given time.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    That’s very nice.

A mate of mine brought his 8kg stuffer from SA. Paid a pretty penny for it back there too, but it works great.

We also make our own spice mix. Having to roast and grind the coriander etc. It’s labour intensive but we make the best boerewors I’ve ever had. And I now have loads of it at any given time.
    I thought there would be a few butchers your side of the pond that would sell boerewors. And some other SA essentials, like ouma rusks. Well, more likely than France

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    I thought there would be a few butchers your side of the pond that would sell boerewors. And some other SA essentials, like ouma rusks. Well, more likely than France
    The local woolworths (which is like Spar) sells ouma rusks and mealie meal and mrs balls etc.

We have a local saffa butcher that sells boerewors, but I prefer the ones we make.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    The local woolworths (which is like Spar) sells ouma rusks and mealie meal and mrs balls etc.

We have a local saffa butcher that sells boerewors, but I prefer the ones we make.
    Fair enough, some homemade things are just better.