Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Dealer etiquette

It's quite common that the Importer will have a list of firearms, together with serial numbers. This list will be made available to all the general Dealers that stock this brand (or multiple brands).

The Dealer will then sell the firearms, according to the list provided.

I also had the experience where the (NEW) firearm I purchased, was already sold by another Dealer in another province. Needless to say, it took over a year to sort everything out and eventually get my licence card. (this was a few years ago, if it had to happen now, it would have taken two years to sort out)

Quote Originally Posted by inanabhay View Post
    It's quite common that the Importer will have a list of firearms, together with serial numbers. This list will be made available to all the general Dealers that stock this brand (or multiple brands).

The Dealer will then sell the firearms, according to the list provided.

I also had the experience where the (NEW) firearm I purchased, was already sold by another Dealer in another province. Needless to say, it took over a year to sort everything out and eventually get my licence card. (this was a few years ago, if it had to happen now, it would have taken two years to sort out)
    Sorry, but that is just wrong. Obviously these kinds of mistakes are going continue to happen if that is how the "system" works.

You sell a gun that isn't in your possession, which other dealers have the same access to, what do you expect.

I would be pretty pissed if this happened to me.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KN2 View Post
    ... - I do have a 350 stating that it is in their stock. They have just told me that it isn't...
    The question is what actually defines "dealer stock".

There are 2 systems, brought about by the now famous Act 60 of 2000:
    1. Every dealer has a "Stock book" that has every single fire arm that enters his safe entered and where you sign it out again when you collect it. In other words the "actual stock".
    2. Then we have the SAPS-CFR's electronic "Dealer Stock" database which contains what the SAPS thinks the dealer has in stock. This is usually updated some time after the actual FA has been moved from 1 entity to another, nowadays via electronic access portal (E-submissions). The database also regularly loses some data, which means that a FA can revert to some previous entity at any given point in time.

So what the one system says does not often correspond with what the other says. Hence the FA "in stock" that is not actually in stock. Thank the CFR and it's officials for this little gem.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Thank you A-R
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Out of good faith, dealer should be honest and disclose cause it's going to leave a bad taste in a new gun owners mouth when he is ever ready to go and start licensing.

Whether it's some small gunshop or large franchise

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk

User

@wild coast - Thank you - We're not too remote. About 50km from the agents in Durban.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I will wait a few more days and if the FA has not arrived I will ask for a refund.

I don't want to risk all the mentioned possible errors that could happen if the FA isn't actually in stock.

Thanks again.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KN2 View Post
    @wild coast - Thank you - We're not too remote. About 50km from the agents in Durban.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I will wait a few more days and if the FA has not arrived I will ask for a refund.

I don't want to risk all the mentioned possible errors that could happen if the FA isn't actually in stock.

Thanks again.
    The shop in Ballito or Stanger?

User

Sent you a DM. Don’t want to publicly mention the store incase it’s just a misunderstanding.

A problem you can possibly face - application submitted at DFO - cannot be processed due to not reflecting on the dealer stock. It can be a real headache, and has happened before. Its a issue with cfr more than the dealer though

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    The question is what actually defines "dealer stock".

There are 2 systems, brought about by the now famous Act 60 of 2000:
    1. Every dealer has a "Stock book" that has every single fire arm that enters his safe entered and where you sign it out again when you collect it. In other words the "actual stock".
    2. Then we have the SAPS-CFR's electronic "Dealer Stock" database which contains what the SAPS thinks the dealer has in stock. This is usually updated some time after the actual FA has been moved from 1 entity to another, nowadays via electronic access portal (E-submissions). The database also regularly loses some data, which means that a FA can revert to some previous entity at any given point in time.

So what the one system says does not often correspond with what the other says. Hence the FA "in stock" that is not actually in stock. Thank the CFR and it's officials for this little gem.
    The concern here that I would have is that they have given a copy of the 350 showing into stock.

If it is not, in fact, into stock (actually, not SAPS processing the 350), then how could they issue the document?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast