Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default .243 vs 6.5 x 55

Hi Everyone.

I have been registered on here since 2013 only started posting now.
    I have 2 x Sauer 90's. One 30-06 and a .375. Now i am on the hunt for a Sauer 90 in 243 or 6.5 x 55 or perhaps a later model Sauer.
    What calibre would you suggest i go for considering what i already have.

I am clueless as to the differences between the two and which one would suit my collection better.

If anyone know of a Sauer 90 that's available in above calibres please let me know.

Thanks

User

Default Re: .243 vs 6.5 x 55

First thing you must ask yourself is what need or gap are you trying to fill?

The .243 is a excellent small plains game rifle. Shooting bullets between 75gr and 105gr you'd be able to comfortably take springbuck sized game at medium distances. Its also a excellent varminting caliber if you want to shoot jackals or other small predators.

The 6.5x55 is a step up in bullet weight and diameter. Where the 243 shoots a 6mm bullet, the 6.5x55 shoots a 6.5mm bullet that typically weights between 120 to 150gr. Its a flat shooting cartridge that offers the same ballistics as something like 260rem or 6.5creedmoor. You would be able to shoot from small game up to medium sized game like blesbuck and swart wildebeest. I'd also be comfortable shooting bigger game like gemsbuck, kudu and blue wildebeest, provided you choose the right hunting bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by WAP View Post
    Hi Everyone.

I have been registered on here since 2013 only started posting now.
    I have 2 x Sauer 90's. One 30-06 and a .375. Now i am on the hunt for a Sauer 90 in 243 or 6.5 x 55 or perhaps a later model Sauer.
    What calibre would you suggest i go for considering what i already have.

I am clueless as to the differences between the two and which one would suit my collection better.

If anyone know of a Sauer 90 that's available in above calibres please let me know.

Thanks
    What is your intended purpose for the rifle? It is two very different calibers with different applications.

It's mainly for my boys to start shooting with. And then also to have the "perfect" 3 gun collection if that makes sense.
    Thanks for the replies thus far.

Banned

Maybe get a 223 for the purpose of training? It is cheaper to shoot and has less recoil, but the gap to the 30-06 is probably too large for the boys.

243 might be a very good choice, especially with a silencer to reduce recoil. If I were to buy a smaller caliber it would be a 243AI with a longer throat for heavier bullets, or a 7-08.

User

It's mainly for my boys to start shooting with. And then also to have the "perfect" 3 gun collection if that makes sense.
    You speak of unicorns! To get closer though, you’ll need to buy at least two more rifles. Keep the .30-06 aside as a loaner or something… ;-)

My vote goes to the 6.5x55.

More capable as a hunting caliber.
    Longer barrel life.

In that case, between the two calibers you're looking at, I'll choose the 6.5x55. Recoil is not much more than the .243, it is a better cartridge for range use, will give a longer barrel life and is more versatile when your boys start hunting.

I have no intention to sell any of my Sauers, ever. So the next one i buy must be the right one. All of them will eventually go to my boys. As they came to me from my father. I am also leaning towards the 6.5 x 55 but trying to find one in model 90 is gonna be near impossible.

I am sure there must be a .243 or 6.5 x55 Sauer 90 lying in a gun shop some where in the country. Just trying to find it is the problem.

User

IMHO the 6.5 wins the race by miles

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast