Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Long time lurker. Decided to post due to attempted hijacking

Glad to hear you and your passenger came out of it unharmed, that's a fantastic result. Because of the crazy place we live in, the fact that you didn't shoot any of them may also make the next year or so of your life less inconvenient. Agree with krieger's point about trusting your instincts, they are there for a reason and most of us have erred on the side of suppressing or ignoring them.

Glad you guys are OK/ alive. Training will help you build the right situational awareness and muscle memory. If you didn't carry, chances are you may have just given up. You fought back because you were preparing to draw and defend yourself. Well done and I think many would react in the same way as you did. Thanks for taking the time to write this down and share. We can constantly learn from each other's experiences.
    sleep when you're dead

User

Out of interest, could you see if any of them were armed?

User

Crazy glad u ok and still have your FA.

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

User

Take the win.

Train more.

Learn from your mistakes.

In hindsight you could have fucked their plans simply by listening to the man on your shoulder and moving to another location. You could have let your passenger know that you moved etc.

There are times going for your gun is less than ideal. There may also be times when your survival will depend on it. Keep carrying! It already put you in the right frame of mind to take the scumbags on, and win!

Regards,

User

Shew -- thanks for sharing your experience (and well done). I know that you are frustrated by what happened, but please bear in mind that things never (and I mean, never) work out how you might have mentally expected/played out in your mind how an event like this would be, prior to the actual incident happening.

Agree with the comments of some of our other members.... this means:--

1/ get some proper FA and defensive training from a competent trainer (and not the cool, FB wannabee trainer stuff). If you are based in/near to Gauteng, I and others can recommend some good trainers.

2/ check that your EDC kit works (or replace it). By this I mean, check the retention and fit on your holster and, if necessary, get a better one.

3/ work on (and continuously try to improve) your situational awareness. BG's are like hyenas, they will generally give away what their intentions are, so be vigilant.

4/ speak to and make your family aware of the above (and get them to also work on their own situational awareness). More eyes is always better than fewer eyes when one is out and about.

5/ try not to go to sketchy places... and especially at sketchy times (a really good SA trainer always says "... play stupid games, in stupid places, with stupid people, at stupid times... win stupid prizes).

Good luck with the EDC and defensive journey....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bundu Ric View Post
    Damn, glad you are ok.

Any idea how your FA came out of the holster? Was this before the altercation or during the altercation?
    If it was a questionable holster , easy resolve.
    Daniels holster is a industry accepted quality solution, so back to the original question how did it happen then ?
    Under normal circumstances are you happy with the retention and this particular firearm you using in it ?
    When you drew your legs up to kick whilst laying back did your thigh maybe contact bottom of holster/weapon, could that motion have dislodged it ?
    Just tried it in my chair and there certainly some pressure on the holster from bottom of it up.
    Was your safety belt off whilst waiting ?

Thanks for all the amazing replies. I just hope I never get into a situation like this again.

User

Kudos to the young man that did not simply walk past and that actually came to your aid by attacking them, seems that is what prompted them to abandon their plan.

Dont be to harsh on yourselve, still a good outcome

Quote Originally Posted by parthyc View Post
    Glad you guys are OK/ alive. Training will help you build the right situational awareness and muscle memory. If you didn't carry, chances are you may have just given up. You fought back because you were preparing to draw and defend yourself. Well done and I think many would react in the same way as you did. Thanks for taking the time to write this down and share. We can constantly learn from each other's experiences.
    Good point. In the moment my entire focus was in fighting to create space and draw.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast