Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Thoughts on Kalashnikov AK47

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    A shipment of AKM's landed recently. Is it perhaps one of those? Selling in the R25k region.

In 2022 I can't see this being the best way to spend your money on a rifle; especially if it's your first rifle and you actually want to be able to mount lights and optics onto the thing.

To a collector or someone who already has other rifles it's all good.

Maybe the Russians should hold onto their weapons considering they're in an active war ;-)
    This makes alot of sense

Sent from my PPA-LX2 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by phant1m View Post
    From what I been told and checked up, these were originally destined for Libya. Made in Russia for Libya as full auto firearms. En route was served by Italian Navy, set in storage forever till the time the Ukraine war kicked off and supposedly warehouses were opened to supply confiscated stuff to Ukraine. How it ended up on commercial market not sure. But then was converted to semi auto and sent to s.a.

So in a way yes from Russia. Just not shipped from Russia.
    That is very interesting Indeed

Sent from my PPA-LX2 using Tapatalk

Banned

From a non tactical mind set.
    R25 000 for a rifle made 60 years ago likely by sort of slave labour?

Its not the worth of such a weapon I question, just HTF did it get from R2.50 to R25000 while getting older out-technologized ? How - there were a billion made ?

Why I ask? Benny Musgrave made a handful of getting scarcer rifles and they can not fetch 25 or even 20K - what drives this price rocketship.

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post

Its not the worth of such a weapon I question, just HTF did it get from R2.50 to R25000 while getting older out-technologized ? How - there were a billion made ?

Why I ask? Benny Musgrave made a handful of getting scarcer rifles and they can not fetch 25 or even 20K - what drives this price rocketship.
    The only possible reason(s) (I suspect) is that only a few are available and whoever brought them in; either paid too much and are trying to recover their investment...
    Or... someone is hoping to make a killing off some mall ninja's that absolutely HAVE to own a REAL Russian AKM to be more tacticool than the schmucks that own Type 56's "because a fake poor quality copy like a Type 56 cannot possibly last as long or be as accurate or reliable as a REAL AKM...)
    Or... There is a genuine collector's market for them and some guys have the dosh to spend.

Personally I think a the majority will get snapped up by collectors (IF there are enough) who actually want a minty specimen of something specific and few guys who really think they need one and have the funds to get one will be interested... And the rest of the guys who just want a working AK that will do double duty as a sport gun at club shoots and stand in the safe for if S ever HTF will just get a type 56 and have some money left over to buy a crate of ammo and some spare mags.

But any sober minded person will recognise that 25K can buy a pretty decent AR that can be upgraded and modified to be more versatile than the AK will ever be.
    I have to agree, 25K for the Russian equivalent of something made in China that has the same limitations as the Chinese version that goes for 7 - 9K is a bit silly.

User

For sure, can't be a utility value driven purchase. I would buy on at R25k IF it were really minty AND I had knocked of the 50 other guns on my bucket list AND I had R25k left. Only one of those is even remotely likely.

User

From a salesman at the shop I seen these at, they were sold out in a couple of hours.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post

A 50/60yr old R1 or FAL will go for similar pricing.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

The earlier Russian AKM's were made to a standard rarely available now. But then again some buy Taurus. Depends on one's priorities.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    A 50/60yr old R1 or FAL will go for similar pricing.
    Yes but you did mention R1 or FAL ------------------------diamonds and rhinestones so to say

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast