Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Overgassed AK??

Default Overgassed AK??

Need some help. I have a saiga mk 103 (. 223 rem).
    Problem I have is that the ejected cases are badly dented, and sometimes unusable. Thinking my gun is over gassed?? Thoughts, ideas?

User

Default Re: Overgassed AK??

I have yet to see a 103 that doesn't wreck cases or fling them around like a drunken monkey

Pretty much all AK variants including Galils and LMs are overgassed by design.

They also have a pretty violent ejection cycle.

I screwed around with buffers and whatnot for my LM6 for a while without success. There isn't much you can do, short of an adjustable gas block or piston.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Adjustable gas block apparently does the trick.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by -=zv=- View Post
    Need some help. I have a saiga mk 103 (. 223 rem).
    Problem I have is that the ejected cases are badly dented, and sometimes unusable. Thinking my gun is over gassed?? Thoughts, ideas?
    AK platforms are over gassed, this is why they have an aura of reliability as this helps them cycle through dirt and grunge and stuff. Believe it or not most of the damage done to an ejected case on the AK platform is caused by the bolt traveling back into battery. Not much. You can do about it.

User

Ask Hailstorm if they have this for your gun (I have one in my 7,62x39 Saiga and it works as intended):

https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/prod...le-gas-piston/

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    AK platforms are over gassed, this is why they have an aura of reliability as this helps them cycle through dirt and grunge and stuff. Believe it or not most of the damage done to an ejected case on the AK platform is caused by the bolt traveling back into battery. Not much. You can do about it.
    This. It's in the design. Better buy cheap steel cased ammo for which the AK is designed for and keep on shooting.,

User

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    Ask Hailstorm if they have this for your gun (I have one in my 7,62x39 Saiga and it works as intended):

https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/prod...le-gas-piston/
    Ditto, I have one too to tame down my 7.62X39 Moska Type 56. It takes a bit away from reliability, but I've never had any issues with mine.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    Ditto, I have one too to tame down my 7.62X39 Moska Type 56. It takes a bit away from reliability, but I've never had any issues with mine.
    My Saiga 7,62x39 has been 100% reliable. The nice thing about the piston is that one can tune in the level of gas/reliability required. I wanted reliability.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DS View Post
    My Saiga 7,62x39 has been 100% reliable.
    Most probably there will be no issues unless there's some serious dirt slowing down the bolt carrier. Mine has a short barrel which makes the equation a even trickier, nevertheless no issues thus far using cheap Russian ammo. Much better product than a buffer which may contribute in breakage of the rear trunnion.

Now with the KNS piston and Wolff progressive recoil spring the slide won't hit the rear trunnion just like the original AK-47 was designed to function, forces in balance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast