Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default DD PDW 300BLK vs Alternatives

Hi
    Interested in the Daniel defense PDW, for range and home (+looting) defence usage primarily,

Tried calling a whole lot of gun shops regarding stock and pricing of the ammo, of which only one had stock.
    Pricing was 800 for 20 in stock. Guys without stock quoted anything from 400 to 1400. Huge variance.

Asked their opinion on whether the PDW and 300blk was worth it, or would it be better to go for something in 5.56.
    Mixed reactions there as well, with some laughing and saying definitely not 300blk, others saying they would still go for the PDW in 300blk. So this is a difficult decision.

Your opinions on this matter would be appreciated

Please suggest alternatives if not the PDW. PS I won't be doing reloads etc myself so that's out the question currently

User

Default Re: DD PDW 300BLK vs Alternatives

For something that could see social use I would want ammo supply in quantities sufficient to become proficient in its use. If you aren't a reloader my gut says that 300blk will cause you supply not to mention cost headaches as its always likely to be a niche calibre in SA relative to 556/223. Given that you are shopping in the DD leagues the latter may not be a concern but I'd be hell of a surprised if there will be a time when most gun shops have the stuff on the shelves most of the time.

User

If this is your first and only AR platform then I would rather look at 223 / 556 as you will always have ammo issues, both from an availability as well as cost perspective if you dont reload.

Is it is great calibre if you want something compact and run subs.

Thanks for the responses, yes price and availability are both concerns. Will look into 556 alternatives, closest in the DD line seems to be the mk18.

First AR15 and probably only one.

If you want short and compact get an AK. The AUG would also be a contender but I don't know about current availability. The only benefit of 300BLK is with a silencer and reloading. MK18 loses a lot of muzzle energy with vastly increased muzzle blast.The std 14.5 is very viable with impressive velocities when using hot 5.56.

If you want a pdw 300blk you can get a mcx rattler

The biggest consideration is supply of ammo. Lot people bought rattler and pdws and now are buying up all the ammo.

300 is specifically brilliant for short barrel with a suppressor. No suppressor than not worth it I think.

User

Just to add to the already well-specced thread. If you're not reloading then 300BLK isn't for you. If you're not prepared to buy all the 300BLK ammo your local gun shop has then 300BLK isn't for you.

Now that the blanket is sufficiently wet; on to brighter stuff.

I made the mistake of handling one of the recently-imported DD AR's just the other day. Damn! That thing is ridiculously light and stupidly good looking too!

If I were in the market (and had the pockets for it) I'd have walked out the store with a 271 in hand!

User

Ok me again. Just know that I'm posting purely because the kids are asleep and I don't know what one is supposed to do with all this free time.

So, you mentioned the 5-finger discount season. Assuming you want to get in shyte, and hoping you're getting into the aforementioned shyte with like-minded individuals, you ideally want to be running guns that use the same ammo. Sharing is caring and all that jazz.

Or at least, that's what I've been told about why it's good to have a handgun in 9mm...

Lastly, shotties are great for parties. Especially when those parties are redistributing wealth not owned by themselves.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast