Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Feral pigs

User

Default Re: Feral pigs

Oudtshoorn too. Not even a Kilo outside town

Do you eat them? Feral pig is big in Europe. Aus is the first country where I saw people shy away from eating them, even though they are near plague proportions, especially in QLD.

The fear of disease is big enough to scare a lot of people away from eating it.

I’ve not come across a mob yet but once I do I’m sure taking a sow if I can, and taking the meat home.
    Last edited by Skaaphaas; 01-11-2022 at 08:14.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Province, town?
    Would feral pigs not interbreed with bush pigs?

User

I ate some from a sow shot on a cane farm in KZN. Was as good as any meat I've ever eaten. Juicy and absolutely delicious.

User

Mpumalanga also. Lots of these causing havoc on farms. So far the farmers are handling the problem themselves and the farm staff are also getting benefit of the meat. No issues with the meat either - makes excellent cheesegrillers

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Do you eat them? Feral pig is big in Europe. Aus is the first country where I saw people shy away from eating them, even though they are near plague proportions, especially in QLD.

I’ve not come across a mob yet but once I do I’m sure taking a sow if I can, and taking the meat home.
    I keep my freezer stocked up with the meat, some of the best tasting meat I've had. The roasts cured in a brine mix makes an amazing gammon for Sunday lunch, chops put in the same are just as good.

Sent from my CPH2273 using Tapatalk

What kind of disease are we talking about?

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    What kind of disease are we talking about?
    I know from being in the abattoir for some time, that pigs not coming out of a piggery are prone to measles, but i don't know of another disease other than swine flu.

Brucellosis and Q fever, apparently. As far as I am aware if you avoid the gut contents you’re mostly okay, and freezing the meat for two weeks, and proper cooking, is adequate safeguard against 99% of what you can get from them.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Aus being Aus, any weird rules for handling of game meat, or like these pigs? Can you take them your local butcher shop or purely DIY?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast