Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Question Grease! Which one?

Hi guys

I attended a pistol course this past weekend and it was recommended that I use grease in summer, and oil in winter to keep my pistol running smooth as all F.

I currently use EWL oil, but would like to know if there is a "best" grease I can use on my pistols and AR?

Looking at the Gun Grease from DVC Technologies or the EWL Grease?

Thanks

Stephan

User

Default Re: Grease! Which one?

I use Lanolube lanolin grease sparingly on my handguns, shotguns (semi auto & O/U) and bolt guns. Been very happy with the results.

User

On o&u shotgun you use grease ... and for that just pop over to midas or any spare shop ...white lithium grease and for high temperature.
    In my opinion GUN grease is just priced because of its name

EWL grease is excellent. Use grease winter and summer.

Glocks use to come from factory with orangy brown grease on. Which in fact was Copper Slip.
    I use this on Silencer threads. Makes them come off rifles very easy after a shoot. Actually A-TEC recommends this/

Just note. Grease is thick and creates drag. Grease has a specific use under a heavy load or in bearings thats under load.

I have at home Fluid Film. Brilliant for protecting anything against rust. But crap as a lubricant as its thick and sticky.

Wurth makes HSS2000. You should allways have this in home. Its sprays as water and then in seconds becomes grease like. Penetrates in hinges or anything and smooth as you will ever get. USe to use on lever action bolt. Was crazy smooth. And does not come off as it clings.

But locally just buy Ballistol or FP10 from shooters choice. You will probably in your life not out use one bottle for lubricating stuff.

User

Quote Originally Posted by jehan View Post
    On o&u shotgun you use grease ... and for that just pop over to midas or any spare shop ...white lithium grease and for high temperature.
    In my opinion GUN grease is just priced because of its name
    Couldn't agree more. The only commercial gun specific fluids I've used in a decade or more are copper solvents. I clean with Eds Red and use general purpose oil where oil is required and lanolin grease where that's called for. Oils and greases can only be so magical in their properties.

Edit: I do use Ballistol a lot. Not just on guns but as a general light oil.

User

I think EWL oil is thick enough. Have not had any issues with it on carry or sport guns.

User

I even lube my press with the grease from DVC, very good stuff

User

I have used slip EWL grease. Now using Castrol WB grease. Can't say I found a difference between the two.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    I have used slip EWL grease. Now using Castrol WB grease. Can't say I found a difference between the two.
    There is a lot of confirmation bias in this area IMO. People spend thousands of rands per litre on something and find it to be excellent and have to because if they didn't it would be very disappointing. If a grease can lubricate the inside of a wheel bearing for a decade or two it is very likely to handle the task of lubing the rails of a firearm more than well enough.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast