Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Grease! Which one?

@zs6hdv what's your opinion of lanolin grease for firearms? BTW, if i could pick a job title 'Tribilogist' would be the one I would go for. Very few accountants and lawyers standing around a braai measuring dicks have any idea what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    @zs6hdv what's your opinion of lanolin grease for firearms? BTW, if i could pick a job title 'Tribilogist' would be the one I would go for. Very few accountants and lawyers standing around a braai measuring dicks have any idea what it is.
    Unless they were rubbing them together.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Unless they were rubbing them together.
    You are in a class of your own where a Minora blade will never get to :)

User

I think you should also watch out if you change from one product to another. There is a grease incompatibility chart which one should pay attention too. From experience, if you have one product, and then add another on top of it, it can sometimes go pair shaped, where the two greases react with each other and form a sticky mess that stops lubricating. The best thing you can do is to clean all the parts first with a solvent, before you try out a new lubricant.

User

I was also wondering about the use of wax as a lubricant. Spanjaard make a product called chain wax (not chain lube which is an awful sticky mess). It is a red liquid with a solvent, which dries, leaving a thin red film. The film is dry to touch, so it is probably less likely to attract dust. I image the product was developed specifically for MTB and dirt bike chains, to avoid that grinding paste situation.

I know they use wax as a metal preservative on the firearms kept in many museums, so perhaps more something to use if you have a large collection of hunting or historical firearms that are not used very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    I was also wondering about the use of wax as a lubricant. Spanjaard make a product called chain wax (not chain lube which is an awful sticky mess). It is a red liquid with a solvent, which dries, leaving a thin red film. The film is dry to touch, so it is probably less likely to attract dust. I image the product was developed specifically for MTB and dirt bike chains, to avoid that grinding paste situation.

I know they use wax as a metal preservative on the firearms kept in many museums, so perhaps more something to use if you have a large collection of hunting or historical firearms that are not used very often.
    I used to use a chain wax on my bikes.. Works OK but I found it starts to build up and leave gunk all over.. Went back to oil.. I tried the Squirt and also a product for rollers from Bearing Man..they had a couple of wax based lube products...

I see Liqui Moly now has a range of oil's and cleaners available in SA.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    I think you should also watch out if you change from one product to another. There is a grease incompatibility chart which one should pay attention too. From experience, if you have one product, and then add another on top of it, it can sometimes go pair shaped, where the two greases react with each other and form a sticky mess that stops lubricating. The best thing you can do is to clean all the parts first with a solvent, before you try out a new lubricant.
    Om a DI AR 15 that is not the best idea. A good lube that will not blow out or run out is best to keep the carbon from gas blow back mixed with the oil and easy to clean and helps with the reliability of function. The gas rings on the blot need oil, not grease or dry film.

User

DS: what about this stuff? Been recommended to use on some parts instead of oil.

https://safarioutdoor.co.za/shooting...rease-1oz.html

User

I don't know how many thousands or tens of thousands of threads have been created on greases and oils. This is not going to be an issue that will be settled for a long time.

I have used gallons of Mobil 1 5W or 10W-30 motor oil on firearms, and it works great as a lubricant. For semi auto handguns, I generally use a semi fluid grease. This has been a great one, LSA.

some advice from the US Army

Very few people I have talked to have ever heard of semi fluid greases, they are not to be found in American Automotive stores, and the clerks don't know what I am talking about when I ask if they have semi fluid greases. This is a shame as semi fluid greases will work just outstandingly in a firearms application, as long as you get one that is not too thick, or too thin.

I have experimented with a number of commercial semi fluid greases and this one, Farm Oly

is the best to date. It is slightly thicker than LSA, does not have a horrible gear oil smell, and stays on the surface without dripping. Semi fluid greases are very good at surface retention. I don't know if this product is available in SA, but if not, it is worth looking at what semi fluid greases are available, and giving them a try in your semi automatic pistol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast