Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: My .404 Jeffery is home.

Congratulations, great calibre .Someday il satisfy the itch on one of these.

Congrats and enjoy every moment with your rifle, very nice to own and to hunt with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Enjoy, its an awesome calibre, mine is my bushveld go to rifle.

do yourself a favour and come to a big bore Association shoot or two, its great fun.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    A synthetic sling is not traditional, but it deals much better with a heavy rifle in that it has a slight stretch and bigger area on the shoulder that makes for easier carrying. Leather and canvas can be very abrasive.
    I am still figuring out a lot about the rifle. It seems to be build in the Westley Richards style. The barrel and sights that is. The stock I will still the answer, but maybe it is just a stock... Westley Richards had Canvas slings as "Traditional English." That is why I am planning a canvas on the rifle.

BUT - A decent synthetic sling will be more suited when hunting indeed. It is a big heavy rifle. Will weigh it over the weekend and share the info. Then must get both. Canvas to be traditional on traditional big bore family hunts and synthetic when using for my biltong hunts.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Desperatezulu View Post
    Congrats! I second that the Warne will be fine - have used them with no issues on my 416 Rigby and 9.3 for years.

That barrel sounds very long, and as you say, the Jeff is not a calibre to be chasing velocity with. Depending on how it balances and the collectability of the rifle, it may be worth lopping off 3-4" some time. It will help reduce the weight slightly and make the gun much more handy.
    It balances perfect. But is heavy. So have been thinking about this balancing as it just did not seem right to be balanced as is. I took of the recoil pad and found a Kwik recoil breaker (Reducer) in the butt of the stock. That is giving the balance for the longer barrel.

User

https://i.imgur.com/PBU5sCw.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/kLo3NIw.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/cV4i3wg.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/p0yaTYJ.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/f31bLWj.jpg

I have tried. If images cannot be seen, let me know and then also where can I find the step by step instructions to get images from Imgur onto Gunsite? Have tried in "Sandpit". It worked there. Lets hope.

I see some gents post a string of photos, that I don't get going. So have copied the links.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post

I have tried. If images cannot be seen, let me know and then also where can I find the step by step instructions to get images from Imgur onto Gunsite? Have tried in "Sandpit". It worked there. Lets hope.

I see some gents post a string of photos, that I don't get going. So have copied the links.
    Nice. That is a standard CZ550 "hogsback" stock.

User

Thanks TStone. Working rifle it will be. My best guess to the origin would then be that it might have been a CZ550 in another calibre that was re- barreled to the .404 Jeffery with a Truvelo barrel.

And the barrel band, sights and sight ramps? Maybe an idea on those? That long base for the notch I have seen on Westley Richards rifles.

Have still not had range time between the rainy hours to go shoot it. Hope it is accurate, but it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Thanks TStone. Working rifle it will be. My best guess to the origin would then be that it might have been a CZ550 in another calibre that was re- barreled to the .404 Jeffery with a Truvelo barrel.

And the barrel band, sights and sight ramps? Maybe an idea on those? That long base for the notch I have seen on Westley Richards rifles.
    The rear sight, barrel band sling swivel and barrel band front sight was probably added by the gunsmith who did the re-barreling job. Various types of all of these are available for custom work. It is perfectly useable just as it is, a lot of hunters don't like the hogsback stocks but I have fired several CZ rifles, including a .416 Rigby and a couple of .375 H&H's with this stock type and never found it uncomfortable. There are gunsmiths who alter those stocks to a more classic shape but if I were you I'd use it like that first and see how it works.

User

The stock is a bit long for me. About 1 - 1,5 inches . My plan is to use it as is for now with open sights, but I bet when scoped the stock shape and length might become a problem. I bought the rifle on photos, otherwise it would have been sold to someone else. Also zero time to get information and opinions. On the photos it already seemed that it would be possible to alter it to be more straight, especially when it can be shortened as well.

And there it starts raining with lightning again. I hoped to be able to tell you by 18;30 how it shoots, but now we will have to wait some more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast