Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Visiting RSA bearing gifts: which gun parts and accessories are controlled?

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Yes, we all know how dangerous an inert piece of brass can be when it loses its temper.
    Yes, it has happened to me when one lost it and I got the gasses from the chamber in my face

User

Default Re: Visiting RSA bearing gifts: which gun parts and accessories are controlled?

Technically, only stuff classified as "guns" (ie barrels, receivers, slides, frames) are controlled and needs a license to possess. Ammunition is also regulated. 'ammunition’' means a primer or complete cartridge.
    Gunpowder (as well as primers) are also controlled.

BUT

As my fellow citizens have pointed out, it will depend on the uneducated security officer at the airport so don't expect him / her to know the law at all.

Knives are totally unregulated, as well as bows / crossbows / air rifles / silencers / optics / sights etc.

Maybe as a gunsite group we can get together and organize a nice fun shoot someplace? I would love to have a nice chat with a fellow gun enthusiast from another country.

User

Sounds like a plan!

User

Just bring yourself it is enough of a win for us…

and welcome back to South Africa :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    Technically, only stuff classified as "guns" (ie barrels, receivers, slides, frames) are controlled and needs a license to possess. Ammunition is also regulated. 'ammunition’' means a primer or complete cartridge.
    Gunpowder (as well as primers) are also controlled.

BUT

As my fellow citizens have pointed out, it will depend on the uneducated security officer at the airport so don't expect him / her to know the law at all.

Knives are totally unregulated, as well as bows / crossbows / air rifles / silencers / optics / sights etc.

Maybe as a gunsite group we can get together and organize a nice fun shoot someplace? I would love to have a nice chat with a fellow gun enthusiast from another country.
    What about recoil spring guide rod assembly ? Just wondering as I have someone in USA coming out as well.

User

Guide rods and assemblies is not a problem on the SA side. Might be on the USA side.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    Just bring yourself it is enough of a win for us…

and welcome back to South Africa :)
    Why, thank you I hope I can meet as many of you gents as possible during my next trek.

Banned

The problem is not what the law says; it is what the LEO thinks.

As long as parts don't look like firearms, one should be able to get them through customs. They might ask about taxes etc.

User

I, after nearly 40 years of flying got hammered twice on same trip for ammunition, firearm charges. When I left RSA home bound to sort some matters out, I got held up proper for having a 44 Rem Mag fired case in my hand luggage, which was also my everyday bag when traveling in RSA (like to the range). A real unpack everything almost miss flight kind of stupidity.

On my return I returned using some of my late fathers old bags I wanted to bring back as "looks cool" old stuff. Again - got bust with a old .303 case with head stuck back in, I guess it was a keepsake of my fathers. That pack had been lying in UK for 20 + years, I in this case truly knew not of it.

Both cases, a lot of noise, excitement, others coming to look, lots of talk and arguing. "Eeet's dangerous, haai !, you should know, no bullets, look there on the board". This was followed by less excitement, less talking, lots of other language and a final " you can proceed, this must stay here"

Its not nice.

User

On the other end of the ridiculous scale was when I was on an internal flight and the middle aged tannie next to me very briefly flashed a snub .38 while digging in her bag just before takeoff. She took a massive start but I made eye contact and gestured for her to be silent. Since all the security checking on an internal flight was upfront I assumed she'd be OK and happily she was. How a revolver could be forgotten in a bag by it's owner, let alone missed by airport security is anyone's guess.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast