Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Visiting RSA bearing gifts: which gun parts and accessories are controlled?

Having travelled with and brought in parts

I'll be that guy who says you shouldn't have a problem, especially if your flight lands in the evening ;)

User

Default Re: Visiting RSA bearing gifts: which gun parts and accessories are controlled?

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    On the other end of the ridiculous scale was when I was on an internal flight and the middle aged tannie next to me very briefly flashed a snub .38 while digging in her bag just before takeoff. She took a massive start but I made eye contact and gestured for her to be silent. Since all the security checking on an internal flight was upfront I assumed she'd be OK and happily she was. How a revolver could be forgotten in a bag by it's owner, let alone missed by airport security is anyone's guess.
    That's a reoccurring stress dream I have where I somehow end up with my Glock 26 on me while flying to the UK. The extended version is where I actually make it into the UK with it only to face the prospect of flying back to SA with it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by holdingthezero View Post
    That's a reoccurring stress dream I have where I somehow end up with my Glock 26 on me while flying to the UK. The extended version is where I actually make it into the UK with it only to face the prospect of flying back to SA with it.
    That's classic, when travelling a bunch in Africa I had exactly the same recurring dream but for the offending article being a P07.

User

we recently had some family visit from the UK with the obligatory shooting day thrown in .
    As a memento i have them a keyring each - primer drilled out , and a whole drilled through both sides of the case for good measure.. yes i seated a bullet in the case , but i thought that was safe enough

guess what

internal flight from Margate to JHB they were both confiscated - dangerous goods apparently ???

User

So I immigrated to Australia for a while...long story. And had exactly the same dream 10 times. How do I get my Glock back home??? And where do I keep it until I have a plan.

Our police it rediculous. I have flown to Aus with my diving and spearfishing gear. In South africa especially JHB they see the speargun on the scanner and start going nuts. They also require you to remove the rubber from the gun "as it can go off if bumped". Also no spear loaded in the gun that now has no rubber on it. So when I fly now I do not close the case for th spearguns and strip everything off and show them and explain to them what the security boss will say. Then you land in Singapore no problem... Qatar!!!!! Speargun!!! almost get arrested.

Arrive in Aus and they do not even open the case as spearguns is an everyday item.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    Since I'm planning to visit South Africa February-March I'd like to know which gun parts and accessories are controlled by the local authorities. Barrels, slides and receivers are in the list I believe, but how about magazines, buttstocks, springs, suppressors, trigger assemblies etc? There might be some parts easily available in Finland which are harder to get in RSA, so I might bring those with me if someone's got the need for them.

That is, if I get any of my trunks open before my departure...
    My take: bring in non-restricted stuff like mags, buttstocks, springs, cans, rifle furniture, triggers etc. but avoid pistol frames, barrels and slides. Same will apply to rifle receivers and barrels. All of the above non-restricted stuff can easily be bought in S.A or imported into via Brownells etc. without hassle. I had buttstocks, grips etc. brought in by a friend who is a FFA dealer in Fl., USA with zero issues.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3