User

Default Magtech 115gr 9mm Gel Test

Apologies if this has been posted before.

I came across a BrassFetcher gel test of the rather-popular 'blue box' load.

https://www.brassfetcher.com/Handgun...Selection.html

(Third sheet down)

To wit - 5 shot averages - bare gel: 9.7 inches penetration, .063 expansion
    - FBI Heavy clothing: 11.4 inches penetration, 0.56 expansion

So, pretty comparable to the much-derided 115gr Silvertip.

Still, as member M43's successful usage of the round shows, it should work for unobstructed frontal shots and, striking sheet metal (like a car door) will often 'set' the bullet, resulting in adequate penetration.

User

Default Re: Magtech 115gr 9mm Gel Test

Agreed, however if you click on the following link https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...tests/#results and scroll down to 9mm test results, and then click on the link for the MAGTECH 124 Grain Bonded JHP https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-124g...rounds#geltest
    and look at the actual recovered bullets, you'll see there is almost no expansion of the hollow points.

So yes, in conclusion they do preform well with the penetration, but not at all with the hollow point bullet expansion.

Personally I think the WINCHESTER 147GR RANGER T SERIES JHP are the best buy for the price and availability in sunny South Africa.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Branden88 View Post
    Agreed, however if you click on the following link https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...tests/#results and scroll down to 9mm test results, and then click on the link for the MAGTECH 124 Grain Bonded JHP https://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-124g...rounds#geltest
    and look at the actual recovered bullets, you'll see there is almost no expansion of the hollow points.

So yes, in conclusion they do preform well with the penetration, but not at all with the hollow point bullet expansion.

Personally I think the WINCHESTER 147GR RANGER T SERIES JHP are the best buy for the price and availability in sunny South Africa.
    The Magtech Bonded line has been improved and updated, the bullet Magtech uses is basically a 1st generation Gold Dot and it actually performs well from duty length barrels (I have some of the 124gr Magtech Bonded in 9x19 and I have tested it). They now have a 124gr and 147gr+P versions as well, which I have no doubt; will be stellar performers.

As for your personal note above, I agree; with the exception that I'd add the entire 9x19 WW Ranger T Series and Ranger Bonded line. i.e.
    RA9TA - 127gr +P+ Ranger T
    RA9124TP - 124gr +P Ranger T
    RA9BA - 124gr +P Ranger Bonded (same thing as WW PDX-1/Defender line but in 50 round LE boxes)
    RA9B - 147gr Ranger Bonded (same thing as WW PDX-1/Defender line but in 50 round LE boxes)

I've heard good reports on the 9x19 115gr +P+ Ranger JHP (RA9115HP) aka 'The Indiana State Police' load here, seeing as we don't encounter folks wearing 4 layers of denim being a moderate climate country.

User

Nothin' says Country like 4 layers of denim.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Nothin' says Country like 4 layers of denim.
    Indeed so. Cold country at that. But it's still IWBA's standard...

User

I'm going to have a look at Magtechs. They seem to be fairly commonly available and be increasing in quality level.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I'm going to have a look at Magtechs. They seem to be fairly commonly available and be increasing in quality level.
    The Bonded sadly only ever came in once and never thereafter, so unlikely you'll find them Oaf. Stick with Ranger T's until we get better options.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    The Bonded sadly only ever came in once and never thereafter, so unlikely you'll find them Oaf. Stick with Ranger T's until we get better options.
    Thanks for that. I'd seen the branded boxes on shelves but hadn't looked at what they were.