Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Help me choose "Pocket Pistol"

So since I don't know what I don't know I need some input on helping me choose a "Pocket Pistol"

Background,
    I EDC a G19 and have enough S16 handguns to replace it with should the need arise.
    There are however select situations where I do need as little gun as possible.
    My main argument is 6.35 is still better than having nothing at hand.

Locally these handguns seem to be the most available and you can pretty much source from any gun store. So hopefully will be able to find a decent one with some effort.

I am Leaning towards the Beretta 950 only as I can still buy new mags and spare for it.
    The Pop up barrel control on the Beretta does give me some cause for concern.

Looking at the following what would be your choice and why?
    Practically how reliable do these function / feed etc.
    Please share your experience and thoughts.

Small.jpg

Thanks
    Nardus

User

Default Re: Help me choose "Pocket Pistol"

I have a little FN Baby 1931. Difficult to shoot, since it's so small and they are supposedly not safe to carry loaded as a drop may jar the striker loose. It is reliable with decent ammo.

I have an interest in these little guns, and would personally opt for a slightly bigger pocket pistol with a hammer as opposed to a striker. I see a lot of Star 6.35 pistols floating around, perhaps you could consider them?

I would go for the CZ or Beretta. I like the DAO of the CZ, just point and shoot.

Edit: My Baby Browning is difficult to shoot, since it stings my hand, it has really noticable recoil due to the small grip and my hands may be slightly bigger than average.

I also have a Walther PPK 7,65 which is much more usable and I carry it routinely. Although it's size put's it out of the vest pocket category.

My wife has a NAA .22 magnum. Cute toy and probably better than a sharp stick.

I would also look at the Ruger LCP2.

User

I would quite happily go for the Beretta 950b should the need arise.
    I own both a Beretta 950b and a FN baby browning. By far the most FTF's FTE's was with the Baby Browning.
    Also, the external hammer of the Beretta makes for a MUCH better trigger pull. The Beretta also takes 8 rounds compared to 6 of the Browning.
    The Beretta also does not have the irritating mag heel release common to most pocket pistols.
    The PPK and PP type pistols (7.65), although relatively small, is still huge compared to the 950 or baby browning.

User

I've shot examples of the Baby, the CZ and the Beretta and I utterly sucked with all three because there was just too little to hang onto. I didn't enjoy shooting any of them either which made me think that if I had one I probably wouldn't shoot it as much as I should. Having said that I guess dedicated practice doesn't have to be enjoyable.

Thanks for the Input gents.

As pointed out above by Tobie the drop safety is something of a concern for me as well on the Brownings , but I cant seem to get a straight answer on the 950, any thoughts?
    Lastly seeing the Beretta 950B and 950BS was made in the same factory in Brazil as the Taurus P51, are they of similar quality and do they share interoperability of spares and mags?

From personal experience the Cz92 is a very underrated pistol. Comparing apples with apples.

I would suggest to rather go new. And look at the Ruger LCP2 and LCP Max.

They are incredibly compact.

User

I have owned the Baby Browning. Did not like the trigger.

First choice is a Glock 26 (any Gen), second choice is a Glock 43, and thereafter would be Glock 28 or 42. Preference to 9mmP over 9mmK.

These all form part of the NHSA Pocket Pistol classification.

User

From the inner workings of the Baby Browning, you do NOT want to carry it one-up. You drop it while it's loaded, it's almost guarenteed to fire!
    I have much more confidence in the 950b not firing when dropped.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast