Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zeiss vs Lynx

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Zeiss vs Lynx

I post this in the Big Bore section, not optics. Mods can move if it is not sensible.

I need to buy a scope for my .404 Jeffery. I am not going to buy a Swarovski or whatever else is available for those prices they go for. It is a Big Bore, but used for Non DG hunting and should I hunt DG with it it will be with backup and also not frequently. I doubt the difference in perceived optics quality will be the surviving or dying factor and any scope might be better than the current open sights for better first shot placement.

2 Options that are about equally priced and will fit my budget are:

Lynx LX3 1-6X24 IR
    Zeiss Conquest V4 1-6X24 IR

I had a look at the Lynx the other day. It is a heavy and sturdy scope with clear optics and according to the Lynx sales rep that we called it will handle .404 Recoil, no problem.

The Zeiss I have only seen advertised on various websites.

I have various Lynx scopes on other of my rifles and all of them perform great and work hard.

Any input will be appreciated.

User

Default Re: Zeiss vs Lynx

My 404 J wears a VX3 2.5-8x36 and it’s great

Banned

Zeiss - quality excellent - friend of mine had to send the scope to Europe to have it fixed - 6 months out of action.

Lynx - quality should be on par as glass used might be the same - Lynx serviced locally and within reasonable time.

User

As far as I know, the Zeiss V4 is a 1-4 mag, not 1-6... So if 6x mag is important then this might be a differentiator.

I have one Lynx scope (LX3 2.5-15 - so the same series as the one you're considering) and its glass is nowhere close to Zeiss, especially in low light conditions. Even a Zeiss Terra which is the bottom of the Zeiss range.

I would think both are similarly robust, so that wouldn't feature in my thinking.

I know you didn't ask for alternative suggestions but I would add the Vixen 1-6x or 1-8x scopes that are sold by Camdix. Way better glass than Lynx and has proven robust in my experience (sample size of one admittedly - 1-6x used on my 416 Rigby, so it's up to the job)

User

Zeiss is 1-4. 6 was Typing error.

4x shouod be enough.

Thanks for all input so far. Now I am more confused on my options….

Lynx LX3 .

Optical quality is fantastic.

Local service is a big plus.

The Vixen scopes from Camdix are not in the same league, unless you go for the Artes range. Artes and LX3 costs about the same.

I have the Artes and a LX3 with 56mm objectives. Been using them side by side for a few years now. I can't say one is better than the other.

Artes is rated for 50 bmg, I expect the LX3 will be as well.
    War is convincing young people to kill complete strangers who are not a threat to them personally.

User

A 404 has pretty moderate recoil in my book. I have shot 375's that kicked harder.

Personally, I would go for the Lynx. Maybe not the best optics, but good enough for my eyes and good value for money.

The local back-up is a big plus.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    A 404 has pretty moderate recoil in my book. I have shot 375's that kicked harder.

Personally, I would go for the Lynx. Maybe not the best optics, but good enough for my eyes and good value for money.

The local back-up is a big plus.
    You are not going to shoot an angry beast late in the afternoon, so my vote will also go with the Lynx.

User

Thanks Gents. A Lynx it will be.
    1. I have a few Lynx scopes. All of them is perfect for their job, so I have confidence in the name.
    2. Local backup is becoming a serious concern in RSA.
    3. In general I shoot better with other types of reticles than “Duplex.” Mere lines easily gets lost with bush/semi dark background. The Zeiss falls in this category, except when the IR is on.
    4. I have looked through the Lynx 3GS today again. My eyes pick up the aiming point really easy.
    5. It is available at my local gunshop. Zeiss will mean traveling or online sales that I dont like.

Now to find Warne Maxima QD Mounts for CZ550, medium height. Talking about local: Have you also experienced how difficult stuff like scope mounts are becoming to find? I have enquired, Thor Engineering (Local) cannot assist. So Warne it will be.

Another Lynx coming to my safe. Will pick up the scope later this week I hope.

User

AR, side note: Yes!!! A 404 is not hard on the shoulder. I have not used mine a lot yet, only have it about 2 months now. Currently using cartridges that came with the rifle loaded with 350 gr Peregrines. Recoil is way below .375. More than 30-06 that I am mostly used to, but very manageable. Tuly more of a long hard push than a donkey kick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast