Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default School me on AR's!

Howzit all,

I am still very new to the world of guns, but the bug has bitten big time and now find myself searching for an AR. I am not looking at buying immediately, but I do like to research the living hell out of anything I am going to spend a significant amount of money on! I’d still need to join a club and get DSS before anything.

While I have been looking around on the google machine, I would most likely be in the market for what I suppose is termed an “entry level” rifle – this is purely based on price as I really don’t (read can’t) want to spend R35k+.

I don’t see myself starting to compete or anything in the near future, so it’s primary use would be for the range and SHTF scenarios. Possibly also used as a vehicle-based gun when doing long trips or when venturing out into the sticks (Jury is still out on that idea though).

From what I’ve found, most AR’s available in South Africa come with 16” barrel lengths. This, to me at least, is not really ideal, as it is quite long, especially if adding a suppressor – something that I’d almost certainly do. I have shot a mate’s 16” M&P that is suppressed and it becomes a very long gun. Judging by the videos I’ve watched (remember, almost a complete noob here), a 12.5” or 14.5” would possibly be a better option. But then we go back to availability of rifles in this barrel length?

Optics wise, would probably be a LPVO of some sort – that probably requires it’s own thread!

I know next to zero regarding gas blocks and BCG’s that have been mentioned in other threads, so if that should be a consideration – let me know!

What rifles have sort of caught my eye in the interim are as follows:

• Smith & Wesson M&P Sport II. But then 16” barrel only seems available
    • Ruger AR-556. Same as above WRT to barrel length
    • Truvelo TRV 545. Satisfies the barrel length issue, but seems to be varying opinions on GS regarding this rifle.
    • SAI 2.0. Same comments as the Truvelo
    • Sig M400 Tread. 16” and more expensive, but seems it has “better” standard furniture than the others mentioned
    • Springfield Saint. Don’t know too much about this option?

What say you, gentleman? Am I on the right track, or way off?

User

Default Re: School me on AR's!

I'm clueless about AR's but can offer this nugget. The cost of running a rifle (any FA for that matter) sufficiently to gain proficiency isn't trivial and adds up quickly. If I were to be looking at budgeting for a centerfire SLR I'd think of it more like a car and give myself a total cost of ownership number for a period of years and use that to figure out how much I had available for the upfront purchase. I'd then buy the very best possible quality gun I could as swapping out guns isn't a convenient option given our licensing fubar.

I did this recently when i had decided that life without a 300 Blackout AR was getting unbearable and despite the fact that I cast rifle bullets I decided that the PA cost of running one wasn't within my means.

User

Just get a AK and be done with it :)

Jokes aside, call Spartan Arms they have some other brands available to and some come in various lengths, ask them to send you a list because there website doesn't display everything they have

Not to be that guy ;) but if you are still like a year or so away of licensing it, there might be more or less options available when you have the money

Out of curiosity what are they them he she it saying about Truvelo rifles?
    Do they even own a Truvelo, do they know the manufacturing process, if you only shot 50 rounds or only finger banged it for a few minutes surely you cannot have an opinion on a rifle

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I'm clueless about AR's but can offer this nugget. The cost of running a rifle (any FA for that matter) sufficiently to gain proficiency isn't trivial and adds up quickly. If I were to be looking at budgeting for a centerfire SLR I'd think of it more like a car and give myself a total cost of ownership number for a period of years and use that to figure out how much I had available for the upfront purchase. I'd then buy the very best possible quality gun I could as swapping out guns isn't a convenient option given our licensing fubar.

I did this recently when i had decided that life without a 300 Blackout AR was getting unbearable and despite the fact that I cast rifle bullets I decided that the PA cost of running one wasn't within my means.
    This makes a lot of sense. I'm not going to sit here and say I'll be at the range 3-4 times a month running rounds and practicing drills, because, in reality I don't have the time or money. I definitely think the rifle sits firmly more in the "want" category than "need" at this stage!

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post

You only live once or something like that
    Depending on your beliefs ;)

User

my 2 cents, and from experience, running a rifle enough to become proficient with it to the point of actually using it effectively under stress costs a ton of money in ammo...

My next gun is (and has been for a while) an AR in 9mm, PCC is a hell of a lot cheaper to run than .223

User

Quote Originally Posted by JamesReece50BMG View Post
    Just get a AK and be done with it :)

Jokes aside, call Spartan Arms they have some other brands available to and some come in various lengths, ask them to send you a list because there website doesn't display everything they have

Not to be that guy ;) but if you are still like a year or so away of licensing it, there might be more or less options available when you have the money

Out of curiosity what are they them he she it saying about Truvelo rifles?
    Do they even own a Truvelo, do they know the manufacturing process, if you only shot 50 rounds or only finger banged it for a few minutes surely you cannot have an opinion on a rifle
    For sure there could be better or worse on the market in years time, but I have always found that gathering info on a subject, past and present, will significantly help guage future buying decisions when you are up to speed already.

WRT the comments on the Truvelo, my statement was made based on the recent thread on the 12" AR where some said "yay" and others said "nay". I haven't been around on the forum long enough to tell whose opinions hold a lot of weight so it was just what I had read. Other than this forum, there is not much else to go on for the Truvelo and SAI, as they are South African assembled rifles.

In truth, I haven't gone around to the local shops to hold or view anything - like I said, I'm still very much in the data gathering stages of this purchase. But, from past experiences, not only at gun shops, salesman just try sell you the latest and greatest with disregard to your actual interests. I'm not saying this will happen, but it has been an observation before. Once that happens I completely lose interest in their opinion.

User

Quote Originally Posted by JamesReece50BMG View Post
    You only live once or something like that
    I sincerely hope so!

I can suggest that Stevin and DS on this forum can advise you much better than most of us can.

My opinion, and take this with a grain of salt, is the following:
    If getting a one and only AR, I'd look at a 14.5" barrel at least.
    I would very much look at an M&P Sport II.
    Remember that you must motivate the rifle for your chosen sport which means a "12.5" gun for SHTF scenarios and vehicles" will mean a very quick declined application for a license.
    As mentioned by others, costs add up ito ammo and mags so you'll be spending a lot of money in the end anyway.

Happy hunting.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

User

Agreed, motivation is another thing entirely.

Totally understand on ammo costs, whilst way more expensive than 9mm, I just think it satisfies a different category of shooting. Maybe I'm wrong?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast