Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Identifying strange Round of Ammo

Cool, thank you for the info, that's very interesting!

Now, let's say your a dumbass and forget to insert one of those launcher rounds and use a normal FMJ, what will happen? Kaboom?!

Sent from my SM-A736B using Tapatalk

Ive seen a round like this before. I picked up one at the range. Always wondered what it was.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
    Cool, thank you for the info, that's very interesting!

Now, let's say your a dumbass and forget to insert one of those launcher rounds and use a normal FMJ, what will happen? Kaboom?!

Depending on the design of the grenade there are two (actually 3) possible outcomes...

1. The bullet causes the mounted grenade to explode. Usually painless to the idiot pulling the trigger but his family will miss him. or....

2. The bullet destroys the grenade and its explosive charge in much the same way as a bomb disposal expert would make an explosive devise safe by shooting it with a disruptive / destructive device of some design (or just a rifle.) (But the corporal is still going to fuck up the idiot who did it) or...

3.The rifle grenade is a newer design that has a deflector built into the rear of the grenade. It is an angled channel in the rear of the grenade allowing a bullet / projectile to safely enter the grenade and then deflect out of the side like the little channel primers fall through in the shaft / ram of a Lee press for example.
    I'm not current on these things but I believe some rifle grenades were actually made to function like this, with a normal round of ammo. but I may also be wrong.?

User

....but his family will miss him..HAHa!!!
    Brother you have a way with words!

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    Depending on the design of the grenade there are two (actually 3) possible outcomes...

1. The bullet causes the mounted grenade to explode. Usually painless to the idiot pulling the trigger but his family will miss him. or....

2. The bullet destroys the grenade and its explosive charge in much the same way as a bomb disposal expert would make an explosive devise safe by shooting it with a disruptive / destructive device of some design (or just a rifle.) (But the corporal is still going to fuck up the idiot who did it) or...

3.The rifle grenade is a newer design that has a deflector built into the rear of the grenade. It is an angled channel in the rear of the grenade allowing a bullet / projectile to safely enter the grenade and then deflect out of the side like the little channel primers fall through in the shaft / ram of a Lee press for example.
    I'm not current on these things but I believe some rifle grenades were actually made to function like this, with a normal round of ammo. but I may also be wrong.?
    Thank you for the detailed and colourful description.

User

When I did my 2 years NS, during training a blank firing attachment was put into the R1 flash hider, which let the rifle cycle and could fire on auto with those blank firing rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Some rifle grenade info:

R4 rifle with RG791 rifle grenade:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-icvjoXux8U...le_grenade.jpg

This is what the rifle grenade for the R1 (7,62x51mm) rifle looked like:
    http://img.bidorbuy.co.za/image/uplo...NADE_COVER.jpg

A Portuguese FNM rifle grenade launching round:
    https://www.libertytreecollectors.co....PortBlank.JPG
    These were made from normal rifle brass, with the neck crimped. They are shorter than normal blanks.

Some more rifle grenade launcher rounds:
    http://www.guncity.com/public/img/si...619-227493.jpg

The 5,56mm ballistite (rifle grenade launcher) and blank rounds followed the same pattern of normal case neck crimped for ballistite and longer case for blank.
    Amazing ......

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

Banned

Too good

User

Our (SA) RG791 rifle grenades had an aluminium bullet deflector built into the top end of the launcher attachment, that defects a bullet sideways.

The older versions most probably did not...

Some of the newest rifle grenades have a "bullet arrestor" built in, and they are specifically designed to be launched by a normal "ball" round. This does away with the need for a special launcher round and prevents any mistakes.

Just a note on the construction of these things, and my experience is limited to the RG791: The actual grenade is exactly the same thing as a M26 hand grenade. The only difference is in the ignition module.

Both are shipped and issued with the ignition/detonator module separately packaged. The end user screws the unit into the grenade before use. This adds some safety to these things.

On the M26, the detonator unit has the hand lever, retained by a split pin with a ring. To use, one would grab the grenade with the lever firmly in the palm of the hand, and pull the split pin out by the ring. (Use your index finger, not your teeth. It sits pretty tight and will even pull Chuck Norris' teeth out.) Once released from the hand, the lever flies off, releasing a little spring loaded hammer that strikes a primer-like thing that ignites a short +/-5 second fuse that ignites the detonator. The explosion is spectacular. It causes a bright flash of white light and a shock wave (with shrapnel) that kicks up a rapidly expanding ring of dust around the explosion site. No yellow flames and black smoke like in the Hollywood versions.

In the RG791 version, the detonator assembly is a longish tubular thing. It screws into the grenade just the same, so when mounted on a rifle barrel, the grenade sits on top of the tube thing with it's "bottom" facing forward and up. The igniter mechanism get activated (primed) by the acceleration of the launch, then the impact when it strikes something solid causes the detonator to be activated, exploding the grenade. No delay at all.

During grenade training there are always a few guys who lose their wits (and sometimes liquids) and drop the damn thing close by. Some quick thinking by the instructors mostly resolves the issue, but not always. Grenade training is hated by all instructors...

User

I am forever grateful that I fought my war at defense headquarters where the most dangerous thing was a drunk general's driver in a German sedan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast