Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Warm weather long pants

I'm looking for summer outdoor pants, but it's a struggle. Partly because I don't really understand the pros, and cons of things like cotton, nylon, polyamide etc. as it applies to clothing in warm conditions.

Ideally I would wear shorts, but long grass, bugs, ticks, stinging nettle etc makes that impractical.

I get warm very quickly, and would like pants that stay cool, but still offer some barrier against stinging nettle, insects etc.

I would appriciate any advice or tips.

User

Default Re: Warm weather long pants

Hi

Try a pair of these:

https://www.decathlon.de/p/zip-off-h...8605572&c=GRAU

Light, dries quickly and resistant. Can also be zipped off. Can get it in multiple colors.

Cheers

User

Johnson’s over-all’s. Like those traditional blue ones, but in a colour more suited to your personal style…:-)

User

Anything that starts or contains the world “poly” is junk for warm weather.
    People around the world use it in all sorts of clothing, many claims are made they do it for durability and less ironing and all sorts of BS, the fact of the matter is they do it because it’s CHEAPER.
    Even Johnson’s as mentioned makes many of their clothes from pollycotton, it gets warm easily, doesn’t breathe, this should be avoided like the plague.

For the application mentioned, two choices, anything that says 100%cotton, or just buy a plain old denim, denim is also cotton it’s just a woven style, both provide excellent breathability.

I come from the Karoo so I know what the word warm means, and have also made many mistakes when buying clothes.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Anything that starts or contains the world “poly” is junk for warm weather.
    People around the world use it in all sorts of clothing, many claims are made they do it for durability and less ironing and all sorts of BS, the fact of the matter is they do it because it’s CHEAPER.
    Even Johnson’s as mentioned makes many of their clothes from pollycotton, it gets warm easily, doesn’t breathe, this should be avoided like the plague.

For the application mentioned, two choices, anything that says 100%cotton, or just buy a plain old denim, denim is also cotton it’s just a woven style, both provide excellent breathability.

I come from the Karoo so I know what the word warm means, and have also made many mistakes when buying clothes.

Thanks for the advice. I ordered 2 pairs of 100% cotton trousers.

User

I find denim to be ideal in the veld. Tough and pretty smooth so they rip less, catch less and seem to pick up less blackjacks that most over things. Only real downside to them for me is that if they get wet they tend to stay that way for longer than something plastic based.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    I'm looking for summer outdoor pants, but it's a struggle. Partly because I don't really understand the pros, and cons of things like cotton, nylon, polyamide etc. as it applies to clothing in warm conditions.

Ideally I would wear shorts, but long grass, bugs, ticks, stinging nettle etc makes that impractical.

I get warm very quickly, and would like pants that stay cool, but still offer some barrier against stinging nettle, insects etc.

I would appriciate any advice or tips.
    You’re in Germany right? Leo Kohler moleskin pants, ex Bundeswehr issue, 100% cotton it’s the only thing I wear anymore.

https://www.asmc.com/leo-koehler-field-pants-olive
    Last edited by Wild coast; 11-05-2023 at 16:47. Reason: Added link

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    You’re in Germany right? Leo Kohler moleskin pants, ex Bundeswehr issue, 100% cotton it’s the only thing I wear anymore.
    You sound wealthy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    You sound wealthy.
    My rich uncle brings them for me. £30 a pair. Even at current exchange rates of R24 = £1 it is still a bargain if you consider how long they last.

Made in China just doesn’t work for me. Goedkoop is duurkoop.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I find denim to be ideal in the veld. Tough and pretty smooth so they rip less, catch less and seem to pick up less blackjacks that most over things. Only real downside to them for me is that if they get wet they tend to stay that way for longer than something plastic based.
    Considering other your other current thread, mention of moist trousers brings certain images to mind

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast