Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Contemplating a new rifle.

I currently have a BSA 22 hornet , a cz 527 in 222 Rem and a howa 22-250. I play with the first 2 and the latter I use a lot. So much so that I shoot stuff probably better suited to much heavier calibers. Reasoning is the low report, I can see my hits in the scope, confidence in the firearm and it's just so damn handy.

Reload so cost wise is not the end of the world. I shoot plain Jane Hornady vmax or spirepoints. Whatever I buy a batch of at the time. I must be due for a rebarrell or new rifle soon. I was playing with a 22 Dasher last year and with the faster twist rate shooting the heavier bullets it was actually a really nice piece of kit. Especially when the wind picked up. That said I always go for something I can buy ammo for in the shop if need be.

If I had to choose I'd say it depends on the brand. If I can get a mini action I'd take a 223 with a faster twist rate. If the options are a standard length action I'd go 22-250.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    If I had to choose I'd say it depends on the brand. If I can get a mini action I'd take a 223 with a faster twist rate. If the options are a standard length action I'd go 22-250.
    Talking specifically Howa here, but the mini action mag box limits you to SAAMI max OAL, which in turn limits you to a degree on case capacity, which negates the advantage of the heavier bullets slightly, as they take up quite a bit of the case.

The short action allows you to load to longer OALs (admittedly, after a bit of modification, which I'm only halfway through), thereby extracting a little bit more case capacity and by implication, that little bit more speed. Mine's got a 1:9 twist (actually measured as 1:9.3) which stabilizes bullets up to 25mm length just fine.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Talking specifically Howa here, but the mini action mag box limits you to SAAMI max OAL, which in turn limits you to a degree on case capacity, which negates the advantage of the heavier bullets slightly, as they take up quite a bit of the case.

The short action allows you to load to longer OALs (admittedly, after a bit of modification, which I'm only halfway through), thereby extracting a little bit more case capacity and by implication, that little bit more speed. Mine's got a 1:9 twist (actually measured as 1:9.3) which stabilizes bullets up to 25mm length just fine.
    That abortion of a plastic detachable magazine with its horrible release button/lever is the reason I never bought a mini action. Getting a metal hinged floor plate imported for them pushes them into a different price bracket.

The reason I like my BSA hornet so much is that the BSA Hunter models all had fixed hinge floor plates ( think they came out in 22 hornet and 22 Rem only?). They are old school quality that would cost a fortune to produce now. Mini Mauser action with a full non rotating ejector claw. To master the reliable feeding of the little rimmed hornet case took some work.

As you can tell I don't like detachable magazines.. :)

User

That abortion of a plastic detachable magazine with its horrible release button/lever is the reason I never bought a mini action. Getting a metal hinged floor plate imported for them pushes them into a different price bracket.
    The Short Action has an internal box mag with a hinged floor plate.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    The Short Action has an internal box mag with a hinged floor plate.
    I'm referring to the mini action.

User

I'm referring to the mini action.
    Understood as such

It will probably be a Howa. It will definitely not be the mini action. I don't like detachable magazines on hunting rifles in general and the Howa mini action's detachable magazine system is particularly annoying.

User

6 ARC.

Better ballistics than a .223 but still fits in a short action, might even work on a mini action (as it has same OAL of 5.56).
    Lighter recoiling than a 6.5CM, designed to shoot to a 1000yds if you believe the marketing (but seen many posts in the USA claiming it to be capable).

If you're not keen on a new bullet dia, maybe a 6.5 Grendel, same case dimensions, still better than a .223, not as good as a 6ARC ballistically, but is capable of using same bullets as 6.5CM.

Banned

A 55Vmax in a 20 inch Howa 223 with S321 = Node speed of 3087fps and pressure of 51K psi = 5000 shots per barrel.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

And so the options get more and more.

On caliber discussions I am of opinion that a lot of times the purpose of said wanted rifle is forgotten. I will try to explain by using the .223 vs 6mm ARC. For the OP use, he is not in need of a caliber capable of shooting high BC, long, stabilised to 800 m bullets. The intended need or use is for out to 300 or maybe 400 m. That brings me to for instance the 25-06. It is frowned upon by many because "beyond 600 m the 6 and 6,5 CM are more consistent etc." But, for the hunter, that wants a lazer beam for hunting shots for max 300-400 m that ballistics beyond 500 or 600 m is not useful anymore. A .25-06 shoots way flatter than any Creed to 300 meters, so in my opinion makes for the better hunting caliber.

I am not familiar with the "up to 300 m trajectories" of the newer developments, so stand to be corrected, but for decent hunting distances the .223 might beat them? Or at least be only 5-10 mm short? And for hunting with a easy to load and available caliber that 5-10 mm amounts to nothing.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast