Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Contemplating a new rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    And so the options get more and more.

On caliber discussions I am of opinion that a lot of times the purpose of said wanted rifle is forgotten. I will try to explain by using the .223 vs 6mm ARC. For the OP use, he is not in need of a caliber capable of shooting high BC, long, stabilised to 800 m bullets. The intended need or use is for out to 300 or maybe 400 m. That brings me to for instance the 25-06. It is frowned upon by many because "beyond 600 m the 6 and 6,5 CM are more consistent etc." But, for the hunter, that wants a lazer beam for hunting shots for max 300-400 m that ballistics beyond 500 or 600 m is not useful anymore. A .25-06 shoots way flatter than any Creed to 300 meters, so in my opinion makes for the better hunting caliber.

I am not familiar with the "up to 300 m trajectories" of the newer developments, so stand to be corrected, but for decent hunting distances the .223 might beat them? Or at least be only 5-10 mm short? And for hunting with a easy to load and available caliber that 5-10 mm amounts to nothing.
    So then take the 6mm ARC, load it with 70 to 90gr projectiles, and you will be able to load to similar velocities as a 55 to 65gr in a .223. It all works of the same action, so it's not like it's something exotic.
    IMO, most of the fairly recent designs using 6 to 6.8mm projectiles that are designed to fit into the same OAL as a .223 are more versatile option than a .223 imo.

User

People always try and do all with small cartridges, but they are small for a reason.
    For example some folk wants to buy a 223 with a heavy twist thinking they are going to shoot long BC bullets, forgetting it’s just a little cartridge with little case capacity.
    And then you get folk like Mr Stone who’s got all the hunting rifles he’ll ever need.

I hear you on the pest animal thing, and I hear you on the sometimes for range shooting thing, but honestly this is not going to be a need it’s just going to be a toy, which I am perfectly fine with.

On the long open plains, some problem animals here and there, I honestly think the 22-250 is a much better choice, yes it will only last half that of a 223 but so what. I would get a 22-250 in a heavy barrel and be done with it, it was designed for exactly this.

I want a rifle or barreled action that I can buy off the shelf in the caliber I want.
    I want a caliber for which components are easily available.
    I do not see it being used past 300m on animals, I have other calibers for that.
    I don't want to spend a fortune or re-barreling an action or building a rifle.
    What is the average life of a .22-250 barrel? It will not be shot in competitions so long strings of shots will be rare.
    What about the .204 Ruger (if I can get one somewhere)?

I kinda went through the same thing last year. Initially wanted a .223 but ended up with a 6.5 Grendel reason was I couldnt get a 223 Bull Barrel version locally at the time.
    Why the 6.5 Grendel well it cost 40% of the 223 std barrel the shop had. I did do some extra work on the gun hinged floor plate converstion, trigger job, new custom stock at the end it cost about the same as the stock 223 std the shop had.

For you I would suggest the .223 as you already have a stock etc.

The .22-250 barrel life is between 1200 - 1500 the .223 will probably be twice that at least.

The .204 Ruger from Howa if I'm not mistaken is built on their Mini Action - I have no issue with the action it's just those magazines they suck. Also from what I heard SA isn't importing the Mini Action anymore as we need to import at minimum an x amount - however there seems to be some .223 mini actions that came in as well as 7mm-08's so maybe we might start seeing 204 Rugers again.

User

Anyone know what 204 cases and ammunition cost? Can't say that I have ever seen it in shops.

User

I was also thinking a 204 Ruger. It is just so much more fun to shoot than a .223. Recoils like an air rifle, but makes small critters explode when you hit them.

A friend of mine has a .22 Valkierie. This sits somewhere between .223 and 22-250. More umph than a .223, but cheaper/ more barrel life than a .22-250 which is a bit OTT for .22.

User

IMO, .223Rem fits the bill here.

The .223 barrel will last likely more like 4 times(6000 rounds) that of the .22-250. Shooting AR’s in competition, we still get them to shoot at 12 000 rounds.

You can buy a bulk box of Hornady 55gr SP or CMJ’s and be done with it. I’ve done exactly that with my Tikka. My reloading cost looks something like this. R2.40 for a bullet, R1.00 for a primer, R2.10 for propellant. Granted, those are 2020 prices. The argument stands. I will give you 200 once fired cases that you can rework into ammunition that should do under and inch at 100m. You can’t play for cheaper than that.

Additionally, because you will be saving so much on running cost for the rifle, I recommend that you get a Tikka instead. For not much more money, you can get a much nicer action and stock. Hell, you deserve nice things too!

Just be careful though, a setup like this will affect how you feel about your other rifles… :-)

Best if luck! Enjoy the shopping!

Banned

TStone's requirements are for a culling and a varmint rifle. The 223 fits that role perfectly. Plenty of cheaper components that are readily available, small charges of S321 (Riflex) at good prices and a calibre that punches above its weight class. Proven accuracy, low recoil and mostly shooting in chosen windless conditions at night.

User

My choices after reading what you have and needs would be between the 22-250 and a 25-06 , I went through a similar exercise and settled on a 6,5 Creed , it just suited my needs better, but you already have a 6,5 Creed so those would be my suggestions

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast