Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default ASP 12G shell trimmer

I made myself a shell trimmer years ago but broke it recently. Was about to make a new improved one when an ad for one by Advanced Shooting Products popped up on Gunafrica.

It looked like a good design and at only R200 I figured it was worth a whirl. Turned out to have been a good purchase. Have used it for a couple of hour long shell trimming sessions and so far I am impressed.

It's the first 3D printed hand tool/device that I have ever handled in actual use and initially I feared that it may be a bit flimsy but early indications are that it's well up to the task. It is finely and quickly adjustable and makes dead straight cuts due to the spacer being a nice tight and rock free fit in the shell case head. The blade is a standard stanley style one and is quickly and easily replaceable.

It's definitely a thing I'd recommend picking up if you need a shell trimmer and R200 isn't worth the saving to diy it.

User

Default Re: ASP 12G shell trimmer

Mmmmm very nice. They also make some tools for berdan conversion iirc.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wild coast View Post
    Mmmmm very nice. They also make some tools for berdan conversion iirc.
    They do. They also make a nice 12g roll crimper.

User

A simple tool that does it's one job in the world effortlessly is satifisfying.
    A bonus that the blade is not some obscure hard to replace item.

Do you roll crimp or do you have a folding crimper?

User

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    A simple tool that does it's one job in the world effortlessly is satifisfying.
    A bonus that the blade is not some obscure hard to replace item.

Do you roll crimp or do you have a folding crimper?
    Indeed and extra points if it's also really cheap. I roll buck and slug and fold birdseed. Have only just started to reload bird in any volume though under the pressure of ammo pricing so still new to it and none too good. There seems more art to it than rolling which on a drill press is a one banana task.

User

Excellent tool.

It should go with a roll crimper.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Indeed and extra points if it's also really cheap. I roll buck and slug and fold birdseed. Have only just started to reload bird in any volume though under the pressure of ammo pricing so still new to it and none too good. There seems more art to it than rolling which on a drill press is a one banana task.
    Why not use an overshot card with the bird shot and roll crimp?
    Not being funny, I know nothing of shotshell reloading, just interested.

User

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    Why not use an overshot card with the bird shot and roll crimp?
    Not being funny, I know nothing of shotshell reloading, just interested.
    It would work fine, it's just more work. You have to trim the case, add the card, which I make, and then roll it. With fold, once you are setup up for the height of your shot column and hull it's two extra pulls of the lever and you're done. I probably shoot 20 times as many bird shells as the other two combined so it's not worth the effort and as far as i can tell there's no performance benefit. Only reason that I don't fold buck and slug is to make them easy to distinguish visually or by feel.

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    It would work fine, it's just more work. You have to trim the case, add the card, which I make, and then roll it. With fold, once you are setup up for the height of your shot column and hull it's two extra pulls of the lever and you're done. I probably shoot 20 times as many bird shells as the other two combined so it's not worth the effort and as far as i can tell there's no performance benefit. Only reason that I don't fold buck and slug is to make them easy to distinguish visually or by feel.
    What shot size do you reload the most ?

User

Going forward it will be 7.5 for pigeon shooting. To date it's been buck and slug almost exclusively and so far I've loaded less than a case of 7.5. I will probably get to 3/4 at some point too but still have a bit of stock.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast