Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Choose the best 4 calibres in a SHTF scenario.

Messor, your comments regarding logistics is very eye-opening. I think up to now we (well, myself at least) thought of this scenario as very much a solo operation, or at most yourself with your immediate family. But it is very likely that you will rather find yourself in a group of like-minded individuals as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    4: Here I will take a bigger rifle, anything that can put firepower down in foot-pounds at long range, be it either to disable vehicles if needs be, or just make people change their minds about coming closer. I guess a 308 can work, and rounds are easier to acquire than most others, I still feel it’s too small. Funny as it sounds I will take my 338WM, it weighs LESS than my 308 but hell even at a kilometer it carries a lot of energy.
    Interesting viewpoint on this. I guess given the typical calibers owned by South Africans, this could typically include calibers like the .30-06, .300 WM, and even .375 H&H.

User

For me it will be:
    1 - 9mmP Glock
    2 - 9mmP PCC (using Glock mags) with a silencer, 147gn traveling at 1050fps. My current pet load = 127gn lead zeroed at 25m shoots 4" low at 100m and easily ring a gong at 200m with a red dot sight.
    3 - 223 AR
    4 - maybe a 7.62 × 39 because you then cover 95% of military/guerilla used ammo.

Messor, as always you have profound insight. I agree wholeheartedly with the long-range requirement.
    However, depending on location, firing indiscriminately at unidentifiable people at 1km may not be the right thing to do.

Vaal, you still have another caliber.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

The question is on calibres, not type of firearms on hand. If answered according to that criteria:

1. 9mmP
    2. .223
    3. .22 LR
    4. .308

If answered in accordance with what I have firearms for:

1. 9mmP (For Pistol, but would love to take the PCCarbine with in same calibre, but then I am on 5 firearms and 4 calibres.)
    2. .223 (AR Platform.)
    3. .22 LR (For the 10/22.)
    4. 30-06 (For "sniping" work.)

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    The question is on calibres, not type of firearms on hand. If answered according to that criteria:
    Yup. It's calibers, not FA's so 9mm can run a host of blasters from pistol, all the through to full length PCC AR platforms.

Common platforms for interchangeability and spares make sense in a SHTF scenario.

The limitation is nothing but a way for people to justify the most important for them. As mentioned above every person has unique circumstances.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

User

not surprisingly, all responses essentially conform to a general (and sensible) solution:

1. 22LR because all the reasons given. in my view volume of ammo that can be carried is the biggest plus here.
    2. a fighting pistol calibre. many of us will choose 9mmP but others will choose 40 or 45. gun is on you, and the ammo is still compact enough to carry lots.
    3. an intermediate rifle calibre for an SLR. Many would choose 223/5.56, others will choose 7.62x39. the latter is not as easily obtainable in the above-board market as the former, but may well be easily found in the ... informal market. if you've got a gun that shoots a boutique calibre I believe you'll shoot it till the ammo is gone, and then leave it behind.
    4. A full-power rifle round to reach out and touch someone / something. I hear Messor's comment about the biggest calibre to hit the hardest, and my right brain says I'll do plenty of damage to vehicles using my 9.3 shooting 250gr solids. However my left brain (which is generally right) says the standard calibres will be more useful in the long run, so here 308 wins hands down. But again use what you have...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Trundle View Post
    Messor, as always you have profound insight. I agree wholeheartedly with the long-range requirement.
    However, depending on location, firing indiscriminately at unidentifiable people at 1km may not be the right thing to do.

Vaal, you still have another caliber.
    Thanks, then I'll take 308 gas gun. That'll be a nice to have.

User

Since we have to choose 4 calibers, not 4 guns, here is my choice:

Bear in mind that I live in a rural area. City slickers may view things somewhat differently, until they manage to escape for there...

1. 22LR Preferably in a suppressed rifle, bolt or semi.

2. 9mmP in a pistol (preferably a compact plastic fantastic of your favourite make) and maybe also in a PCC. Mag and ammo interchangeability scores extra points.

3. 12 Guage shottie, pump or semi.

4. Your choice of 223Rem/7,62x39/7,62x51. Pick the one you like and for your environment. This could also be 2 guns, a light SLR and a heavier bolt action. Different applications but with ammo interchangeability.

All the guns should be suitable for procuring meat for food and keeping predators from taking your food.

If I could only have four guns...

1) 9mmP - concealed edc and targets upto 15 meters. (Something RONI compatible would even be better).
    2) 12ga - crowd control and serious stoppage power in home defense. (Pump action would be my choice).
    3) 7.62x39 or 556 - targets between 15 and 200 meters. (Make your choice on ammo availability).
    4) 308 - targets beyond 200 meters.

User

I will go with the battlefield pickup method of picking calibers.

9mm
    7.62x51/308
    7.62x39

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast