Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Kruger National Park for "Beginners"

Considering it is your kiddies first time, phalaborwa region is fine. There is plenty of game, you just see less of it due to the mopane bush being thick. As mentioned the south is more productive for game viewing, but it also has a lot more traffic.

It is however winter, so game viewing is better in general. Lots of elephants and buffalo and general game around the water sources.

Letaba and mopane camps are the closest to phalaborwa gate. Letaba is nice and big and along the river so you are “guaranteed” to see elephants and general game coming down to drink. Olifants camp is also very nice, but a smaller camp so less area for you and the kids to walk around and stretch the legs if you not out driving. As mentioned, it can turn into a long day for the kiddies tondrive around all day, so having a bigger camp where you can walk around and explore is also nice for them. Letaba also has a small elephant musuem which is nice to go to for some history.

Staying in the park vs just outside is much of a muchness in terms of cost. You pay entry fee (conservation levy) everyday whether you stay in the park or stay out and drive in every day. Buying a wild card (which is unlimited entry for the year) is worth it after around 5 entries, so if you are going to go for 4 or 5 nights, it works to buy wildcard. They do offer family packages too.

I would suggest staying inside the park. It allows you to not have to deal with the entry gates every day, is a more authentic experience (you might hear lions and hyeanas etc at night). It also allows you to potentially book a night drive, giving you and the kids the chance to drive around at night and see some of the nocturnal animals. Even if you just do it once, its worth it for an experience. Other than that you can self drive around and take your time and be leisurely about it. Pack your gas stove /flask and stop and make some coffee. Most of the picnic sights you can rent a skottel so bacon and eggs is on the cards.

I would say book letaba for 2/3 nights and mopane/olifants for 2 nights or so. That makes a nice 5 night stay.

This is where I work so feel free to pm me and im happy to chat and give some advice on costs/budget/ where to stay/ routes to drive etc. You never know, the costs that you are looking at might be able to include a stop at a nicer “lodge” in the area or do a bush walk or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

This thread is a well timed gem for me. Haven't been in the park for well over 20 years and was planning on doing so late this or early next year.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Note: When we “move camp” we drive inside KNP to the other destination. You can enter at one gate and exit at another, no problem with it.

The magic of the KNP. On days when the homesickness strikes, I find a youtube video with a northen KNP bird dawn chorus, close my eyes, sit back and take it in.

I would strongly advise staying inside the park. Get up early, watch the sunrise, take in the sounds of the bush awakening, take in the smell of grass and dust and the promise of heat to come.

It’s an immersive experience. Viewing game from the car is but one aspect of it.

As said, the southern parts are more productive for viewing game. The north is less popular, but better for birding, and the general experience, in my view. Also there are baobabs :-).

Enjoy. I am supremely envious.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Thank you all for your valued input so far, I assume this thread wont die down to soon because of its relevance and use.

I am considering postponing to next year, and give myself time to get the gear together to actually go and camp, do it properly, im around 35% there, have most of what we would need, just the tent and bedding, I have a feeling that its probably a better idea to first borrow a tent and actually see if its going to be worth my investment, sure as hell looks like a better financial idea than staying at some of those luxurious R35K/Night lodges.

My conclusion so far is, Camp, Stay inside the park, 2 nights in a camp, take basically everything we would need...

Take with:

Plug in freezer or coolbag filled with ice.
    Bring your own meat.
    Cadac gas braai for picnic spots (you can also rent at some picnic spots)
    Your own braai grid (a must)
    More than one pair of binoculars
    A good alarm clock (you want to be the first one out the camp in the mornings)
    A flask with coffee and rusks.
    A good torch. Camps have lots of nocturnal game on the perimeter.
    All camps have shops with firewood and other necessities.

If you do not camp, stay inside the park. It is really great. Shingwedzi, Lower Sabie, Berg en Dal, Letaba are special.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Thank you all for your valued input so far, I assume this thread wont die down to soon because of its relevance and use.

I am considering postponing to next year, and give myself time to get the gear together to actually go and camp, do it properly, im around 35% there, have most of what we would need, just the tent and bedding, I have a feeling that its probably a better idea to first borrow a tent and actually see if its going to be worth my investment, sure as hell looks like a better financial idea than staying at some of those luxurious R35K/Night lodges.

My conclusion so far is, Camp, Stay inside the park, 2 nights in a camp, take basically everything we would need...
    Perhaps look at staying in the chalets/huts within the park first time round? You can get away with 500-1000 per person a night if theres 4 of you. Some of them have shared ablutions /cooking stations to lower cost. Some of them are not much different to camping. It gives you the chance to explore and get a feel for the park. They usually have their own braai facilities so thats sorted for you.

And yea the bigger parks are quite well equipped in terms of wood/meat/snacks/ cooldrinks.

User

@Roguemeister:
    What's the malaria situation at the moment?
    We at Honorary Rangers received a notice at the beginning of May regarding some reported cases.

@Steven001: Either way, take along Peaceful Sleep or Tabard each time you go to KNP.
    Also use the pre-booking feature: https://www.sanparks.org/tourism/res...y-visitors.php
    Croc Bridge is KNP's busiest gate so if you stay in Marloth or Malelane, make advanced plans or you can queue for hours.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Roguemeister View Post
    Perhaps look at staying in the chalets/huts within the park first time round? You can get away with 500-1000 per person a night if theres 4 of you. Some of them have shared ablutions /cooking stations to lower cost. Some of them are not much different to camping. It gives you the chance to explore and get a feel for the park. They usually have their own braai facilities so thats sorted for you.

And yea the bigger parks are quite well equipped in terms of wood/meat/snacks/ cooldrinks.

Very good idea as I have the tendency to free fall into a rabbit hole once its opened, that rabbit hole being camping in this case

User

Quote Originally Posted by JhbBoy View Post
    @Roguemeister:
    What's the malaria situation at the moment?
    We at Honorary Rangers received a notice at the beginning of May regarding some reported cases.

@Steven001: Either way, take along Peaceful Sleep or Tabard each time you go to KNP.
    Also use the pre-booking feature: https://www.sanparks.org/tourism/res...y-visitors.php
    Croc Bridge is KNP's busiest gate so if you stay in Marloth or Malelane, make advanced plans or you can queue for hours.
    There were a few cases in hoedspruit earlier in the year. I think it has slowed down now due to winter.

But yes always good to use some tabard and protect yourself at dusk.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast