Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bug-out or Not

User

Default Re: Bug-out or Not

1. 99% of people can't be bothered
    2. majority of those with firearms also can't be bothered
    3. depending on how long SHTF lasts (and where you are located), most who bug-in, won't survive beyond a few days

Quote Originally Posted by inanabhay View Post
    1. 99% of people can't be bothered2. majority of those with firearms also can't be bothered.
    Yip, normalcy bias.

User

No answer will be a suitable solution for everyone in any situation. Things can and will change, sometimes rapidly, sometimes gradually.

My suggestion would be to assess your particular situation in detail, then formulate a plan for every one of the many possible scenarios. Well, that can get complicated, so stick to the more general stuff. So you should end up with a plan A, B, C and a few more. The situation as it develops will dictate your course of action. At least you will have practised making plans, so when the time comes you will be better equipped to deal with the completely unexpected situation.

No one can predict what is going to hit you tomorrow with any certainty, especially not the nasty surprises that can crop up at times of social and or political turmoil. This dictates that you will likely not be able to escape from XYZ before all the roads are clogged.

If escaping from the Big Smoke is part of your planning, well I would suggest you do it NOW before the SHTF. I did it 30 years ago. Planning to "bug out" at the last minute is quite a desperate gamble IMHO, with a very low chance of success.

There are no safe places left any more, except maybe there where you, with the help of others, MAKE A PLACE SAFE. You can do this anywhere, but some places are definitely easier to control than others. That depends more on the calibre of the people assembled there than the number or the location.

Banned

For me small a group of like minded people is the key....Large groups of diverse people will inevitably result in conflict....

User

As there are people that don't think at all about planning their response to things breaking down there are those for whom it is a larp hobby. They often fall into the mall ninja category of firearm user and have tons of gear and buzzwords and a haughty attitude and are exactly the sort that will be worth sweet fuckall when anything practical needs doing. What I've seen with people like this is that they have extensive 'scripts' for how a shooting/fight/legal aftermath will go down and similar ones for exactly what they will do when 'shtf' comes. Almost without exception they have been people who have no practical experience of any of the things they speak about with such apparent authority.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    MAKE A PLACE SAFE. You can do this anywhere, but some places are definitely easier to control than others. That depends more on the calibre of the people assembled there than the number or the location.
    Your comment is full of truth. This is probably the crux of the matter, and probably the single thing that worries me the most.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    As there are people that don't think at all about planning their response to things breaking down there are those for whom it is a larp hobby. They often fall into the mall ninja category of firearm user and have tons of gear and buzzwords and a haughty attitude and are exactly the sort that will be worth sweet fuckall when anything practical needs doing. What I've seen with people like this is that they have extensive 'scripts' for how a shooting/fight/legal aftermath will go down and similar ones for exactly what they will do when 'shtf' comes. Almost without exception they have been people who have no practical experience of any of the things they speak about with such apparent authority.
    Still, the larp prepper will be far better off than the person who has done nothing, who will find life very difficult from about day 5, and then be truly screwed 2 weeks in.

User

The lack of leadership in any group will be the cause of failure. The gents/ladies amongst us have never been stress tested in situations like this, unless if you are 65+yrs old. When the time comes, not if, but when, many of us will have to put our ego's aside and follow the the one's that can guide us to safety.

This might sound stupid, but if SHTF I am taking my family an all my stuff asap to my dad. He lived through shit once, and his advise, and many like him, in any scenario will be worth gold.

User

People must just understand there aint no recovering from the scenario mentioned, not if it happens countrywide. The first thing the good citizens of SA does is loot, then they burn, always. KZN was fixed because the scenario was localized, resources was sent from other regions.

If this happens countrywide, this country goes down and it will stay down, and then 99% of preppers will go down with it. That is why I said if planning for the worst one must be able to sustain yourself indefinitely, you can’t eat firearms nor can you take/acquire something that does not exist.

IF the SHTF and you bug in you die, end of story.

User

Quote Originally Posted by inanabhay View Post
    2. majority of those with firearms also can't be bothered
    Then there are those firearm owners who say they will just go take what they need from those that are unarmed. They live in a fools paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    These people are actually a danger to themselves and those around them, but to ignorant or stupid to realize it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast