Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Types of Macnab in S.A

Every year I participate in the Macnab in Tarka - Grey Wing, Reedbuck/Rhebok and Trout. Other game birds and antelope count but score lower.
    It is a great weekend and a serious challenge.
    If you have never attempted one, it is much harder than you think. Most years, there are about 25% of the participants that actually achieve it.

I have recently heard of group doing a “Macnab” near the Fish River but with a Pigeon, Warthog and Barbel.
    They shoot pigeons with an air rifle and catch barbel with a spinning rod, so it’s very different, traditionally.

Any other combinations that you’ve heard of or participate in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Types of Macnab in S.A

Friends has their version outside Northam:
    Guinea fowl, rooibok and 2km run under 15 mins (no dams available for fish!)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bushcourt View Post
    2km run under 15 mins (no dams available for fish!)
    RUN.....
    Someone chasing them?

User

There are some options around Dullstroom. Variations of trout, BWB/blesbok and guinea fowl/pigeon.

Sent from my SM-A325F using Tapatalk

Curious, what is the sequence of attempting it? Is there a tradition, or can you choose? And then, what is the wise choice? I would think fish-bird-bok..?

User

I guess one must pre-determine the species in order to make it a proper challenge, otherwise it’s nothing special, I mean the days we’ve completed a Macnab must run in the hundreds. Fishing lines are always in early morning when the fish start to turn, shoot a waterfowl or two for baber aas, sit and camp till you’ve fished enough en then go and shoot an antelope or two in the afternoon, tis like….almost every camp. Hell we’ve completed a Macnab without leaving camp.

I guess if I personally have to view it as a challenge the individual must be taken to unknown territory, where he does not know the waters, the terrain or the movement patterns of animals, then you give him 3 specific target species.

User

The local ones I've heard of and most certainly the Scots original/s are species specific.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stef1274 View Post
    Curious, what is the sequence of attempting it? Is there a tradition, or can you choose? And then, what is the wise choice? I would think fish-bird-bok..?
    Order is bird, buck, fish.
    They should also all be male and if you want some proper tradition, you are supposed to tie your own fly from the feather and fur of your 1st two animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I think a proper South African Macnab should include a bosveldfisant, rooibok and a tigerfish on the fly made from the feathers and hide. You could pull this off in Limpopo, Mpumalanga or KZN. It will be quite difficult to accomplish though.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

I’ve done a MacNab in Dullstroom. There were 3 of us so we didn’t do it in a set order. I Shot my wildebeeste then had my Egyptian goose in the bag by 0900. I only managed to land my trout around 16:30. Was also the only one of the 3 to get all 3. Was lots of fun.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast