Default ODD 30-06 ID Required

I have an HP (Hirtenberger Patronen) 7.62x63 30-06 head stamped cartridge. They are soft point and round nose.

What makes this odd for me is that the bullet has two diameters. It is thinner towards the front (sub 30 cal.) and then where it enters the case necks, returns to 30 caliber.

Anyone know the bullet and where I can find more info?
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Default Re: ODD 30-06 ID Required

This kind of bullet shape is quite popular in Europe, as also seen in the S&B SPCE bullet and RWS TIG and TUG bullets.

This bullet design offers some measure of mechanical "lock" to keep the core inside the jacket, much like the Hornady Interlock bullet. The sharp cutting edge also cuts skin to promote bleeding from the entrance wound, and paper to punch neat round holes in targets.

Whether HP made their own or loaded a bullet from another maker, I don't know. If the ammo packaging has some explanation that may help, but I suspect you only have the loose cartridge.

User

Sounds similar to the Brenneke TUG

Thanks.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    This kind of bullet shape is quite popular in Europe, as also seen in the S&B SPCE bullet and RWS TIG and TUG bullets.

This bullet design offers some measure of mechanical "lock" to keep the core inside the jacket, much like the Hornady Interlock bullet. The sharp cutting edge also cuts skin to promote bleeding from the entrance wound, and paper to punch neat round holes in targets.

Whether HP made their own or loaded a bullet from another maker, I don't know. If the ammo packaging has some explanation that may help, but I suspect you only have the loose cartridge.
    To add to this:

https://rws-ammunition.com/en/products/centerfire-rifle-cartridges/rws-30-06-uni-classic-11-7g?tx_twruag_ammolist%5BfilterForm%5D%5Bfilter%5D% 5Bcaliber%5D=33&cHash=65ad0a8d41b5218c6c0b2fbcd8de b06b

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Nice to see you posting again, hope you are well.