Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Cerakoting a CZ-75

AR has a point. The earlier CZ 75's were in some instances a bit rough. Not that Gun kote would be a issue though just from a point of smoothing out the rough spots. Back in the day many of these were hard chromed without issue even when newer.

User

This gun has been quite hard to "cock" as it was not fired for the first 28 years since it was purchased by my dad (1989)
    When I took it over in 2017, did a service on it - really battled to even open it up

Only shot approx 150 rounds a year on it since then. But has been cleaned/oiled after every shoot.
    Its a lot easier to work with at the moment, compared to a few years ago. Spring did a little bit of work.
    But compared to my mates CZ-75B - mine still feels like a virgin

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    AR has a point. The earlier CZ 75's were in some instances a bit rough. Not that Gun kote would be a issue though just from a point of smoothing out the rough spots. Back in the day many of these were hard chromed without issue even when newer.
    My Pre B was hard chromed at something roughly around 10k rounds when it still had visible machine gouges (rather than marks) on the rails. I chose to chrome back then, despite me not being a perlemoen poacher, as there weren't a lot of accessible and effective corrosion preventers and as my edc it's little bit of remaining stove enamel was wilting under the onslaught of my acid sweat. They certainly were roughly finished in some cases and I don't know that they came in intentionally different levels of finish machining in the earlier days but I have seen a wide range on low mileage examples from really good to chicom AK level so I assume they did. An interesting aside is that after another 10 years of daily carry and a round count above 50k that hard chrome is still completely sound and there is zero corrosion. Anyone who doubts the efficacy of industrial hard chrome as a firearm finish for reasons other than aesthetic ones should consider why rifle barrels are lauded for having it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dooms View Post
    This gun has been quite hard to "cock" as it was not fired for the first 28 years since it was purchased by my dad (1989)
    When I took it over in 2017, did a service on it - really battled to even open it up

Only shot approx 150 rounds a year on it since then. But has been cleaned/oiled after every shoot.
    Its a lot easier to work with at the moment, compared to a few years ago. Spring did a little bit of work.
    But compared to my mates CZ-75B - mine still feels like a virgin
    Maybe sit with a dremel and a few sanding, buffing and polishing tips and work on the guide rails and other contact surfaces to make it run smoother. I did that with a cz P01 that was too stiff

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Maybe sit with a dremel and a few sanding, buffing and polishing tips and work on the guide rails and other contact surfaces to make it run smoother. I did that with a cz P01 that was too stiff
    I would advise against doing anything more than polishing the mating surfaces. You can easily take it out of dimension and square with abrasives in power tools.

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    My Pre B was hard chromed at something roughly around 10k rounds when it still had visible machine gouges (rather than marks) on the rails. I chose to chrome back then, despite me not being a perlemoen poacher, as there weren't a lot of accessible and effective corrosion preventers and as my edc it's little bit of remaining stove enamel was wilting under the onslaught of my acid sweat. They certainly were roughly finished in some cases and I don't know that they came in intentionally different levels of finish machining in the earlier days but I have seen a wide range on low mileage examples from really good to chicom AK level so I assume they did. An interesting aside is that after another 10 years of daily carry and a round count above 50k that hard chrome is still completely sound and there is zero corrosion. Anyone who doubts the efficacy of industrial hard chrome as a firearm finish for reasons other than aesthetic ones should consider why rifle barrels are lauded for having it.
    The old chromed frame and black slide on the Colt's and High Powers was a thing of beauty. Hard chrome is unbelievably durable.

User

Just shoot it a lot. The more you shoot it, the better it gets. That goes for the operator too...

User

Power tools take metal away and when its gone it cannot/very difficult to replace. If it is a bit rough I normally take a pot scourer and "buff" all the places where metal makes contact with metal. After the scourer treatment every thing is as smooth as "silk". Try to scratch a smooth surface with your nail, buff it a bit with the 3M pot scoures and then scratch it again.
    Then use good gun oil. I prefer Slip2000

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Power tools take metal away and when its gone it cannot/very difficult to replace. If it is a bit rough I normally take a pot scourer and "buff" all the places where metal makes contact with metal. After the scourer treatment every thing is as smooth as "silk". Try to scratch a smooth surface with your nail, buff it a bit with the 3M pot scoures and then scratch it again.
    Then use good gun oil. I prefer Slip2000
    Understood, but I was referring to a very very fine sanding tip just to remove and polish up the sometimes bad filing or machining marks

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    On this forum
    atunguyd
    Thanks everyone. I have spoken to atunguyd and will go ahead with this in the coming weeks
    Just need to decide what shade of black to use :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast