Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Gunsmith recommendations for Hi Power

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Robinson View Post
    Thanks Oaf and Vaal.
    So far I have only been able to find the later-type extractor (this gun has the early type similar to a 1911) and Rescomp want almost the price of a new gun to fit new sights. Owner is considering his options.
    What would you think is the price on a new High Power?

I wguess they would usually charge less than the value of a used gun, depending on the type of sights you choose.

User

Quote Originally Posted by wave.jaco View Post
    Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit, but I have a Hi Power (EDC gun) of which I want to remove the magazine safety. Seems like something that one can do by yourself, but would you rather recommend a gunsmith to do it?
    Google something like "How to remove BHP magazine safety" and you will find enough info & step-by-step guidance to do it yourself. You need a pin punch (or maybe 2 - I can't remember) and a small hammer and a couple of pieces of scrap wood to put the gun on.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    What would you think is the price on a new High Power?

I guess they would usually charge less than the value of a used gun, depending on the type of sights you choose.
    I said gun, not Hi Power.
    Perhaps I need to be a bit more clear. I am not the owner. The gun is inherited, and the owner wants it to be a reasonably practical defensive firearm. It's a fairly early model, with a staked-in little half-moon foresight. He wants something just a bit bigger and giving a clearer sight picture fitted in its' place.

Rescomp want to weld up the existing holes and the rear dovetail, then mill new ones (front and rear), then obviously re-finish and fit adjustable sights.
    They obviously quoted on a number of options, but adding the cheapest of the options together comes out at a price close to what I have seen new Glocks go for, which would arguably be a much better gun for the purpose.

I am not saying they are unreasonable with the prices of the individual items, my problem is that they are not quoting what I asked them for. Which was just to stake in a new foresight.

Were it not for our stupid laws, it would certainly be better to replace the gun with something a bit more modern.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Robinson View Post
    I said gun, not Hi Power.
    Perhaps I need to be a bit more clear. I am not the owner. The gun is inherited, and the owner wants it to be a reasonably practical defensive firearm. It's a fairly early model, with a staked-in little half-moon foresight. He wants something just a bit bigger and giving a clearer sight picture fitted in its' place.

Rescomp want to weld up the existing holes and the rear dovetail, then mill new ones (front and rear), then obviously re-finish and fit adjustable sights.
    They obviously quoted on a number of options, but adding the cheapest of the options together comes out at a price close to what I have seen new Glocks go for, which would arguably be a much better gun for the purpose.

I am not saying they are unreasonable with the prices of the individual items, my problem is that they are not quoting what I asked them for. Which was just to stake in a new foresight.

Were it not for our stupid laws, it would certainly be better to replace the gun with something a bit more modern.
    I would not go for adjustable sights. Too many small parts that can fall off on the long run. They tend to be pricey too.

Maybe the only viable option they had was a set of adjustable sights.

A better front sight can be manufactured, if you have the tools and skill. Then, just file open the rear notch and you have fairly decent sights. The factory originals are pretty useless for my eyes.

User

I'd be surprised if a stake on 1911 sight would need more than a little bit of fettling to fit and there's an endless variety of those available. Staking a sight on isn't rocket science and a staking tool is easily made from some plate and a masonry nail. As per A-R, the rear could most likely be improved and matched to the front with a bit of filing.

If your mate wants a dovetailed sight speak to Craig Klintworth. He cut a modern CZ style inline one and fitted a supplied *by me* fibre optic front sight for around a grand within the last year. Refinishing was not required and that was on a slide that had been hard chromed.

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I'd be surprised if a stake on 1911 sight would need more than a little bit of fettling to fit and there's an endless variety of those available. Staking a sight on isn't rocket science and a staking tool is easily made from some plate and a masonry nail. As per A-R, the rear could most likely be improved and matched to the front with a bit of filing.

If your mate wants a dovetailed sight speak to Craig Klintworth. He cut a modern CZ style inline one and fitted a supplied *by me* fibre optic front sight for around a grand within the last year. Refinishing was not required and that was on a slide that had been hard chromed.
    Now that sounds a lot more reasonable.

I have the tools and whatnot to make the sights.
    My issue is that I don't know how te remove and re-fit the barrel bushing, and I don't want to learn on somebody else's weapon. And I suspect the owner would be happier with a professional job too.

Update:
    Owner decided to buy a more modern weapon for defense and keep the BHP for range shooting.
    We basically struck out on extractors. Found one gunsmith who was prepared to make one "some time after April next year".

I ended up making a couple of prototypes and then a batch of three, and in the process developing a method and a set of jigs and thus I could do it again if somebody needs one (assuming these pistols do have interchangeable parts).
    Please note, this is the first model BHP, with the spring-steel extractor that looks like, functions like and is fitted in the same way as the extractor on a 1911 (from the back of the slide and held in place by the plate that also retains the firing pin), not the later coil-spring-powered version that is slotted into the outside of the slide and held in with a pin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2