Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default What to do with collectable? SIG P230

Good day GS,

I recently bought another SIG P230 but I think it is a bit of a collectable and don't know what I want to do with it.

I treat most of my firearms like collectables but I am not a handgun guy and the sole purpose for buying a handgun would be to use it as an EDC firearm.

It is the old West German with full kit and it has a very nice back story. It went between countries and owners and also has proof of provenance. The current owner did not really use it and only emptied one mag when he got it back in the day.
    I will load pictures if it helps.

I have mixed feelings because I feel the owner wanted me to have it but on the other hand I had the intention of using it as a daily.
    I mainly posted because I would like to know what you would do with this firearm and, if you would be so kind, to add what you think it is worth. I am currently undecided on whether to forward it to a collector or just care for it. It does not feel right having such a nice gun buried away and I feel it will be appreciated more by those okes who like the backstories.

WWAD? What would Andy do?

All the best

Default Re: What to do with collectable? SIG P230

Sell to a collector

Banned

Maybe try to swop it? Otherwise sell it if necessary.

Remember that it wasn't intended as a collectable; it was intended to work.

User

The P230 is a sweet shooting 9mm Short, my missus got one as her first EDC and still has it, all be it we updated her to some plastic fantastic stuff once she became more comfortable with carrying and recoil.
    As a collector, it would be worth more if it came in the original box, with manual, test target and spare mag.
    If not, I would suggest either keeping it as a backup or Box gun for Natshoot as they are very accurate soft shooting guns.

Is yours the SL version (Stainless) or blued?

User

Thank you DS, I haven't thought about a swap. It would be a real win win if I got something long with two 2s written on it . Especially if it came from the wood and bluing days. I don't have a shortage of want to haves in that department

SF I have a user P230 from the newer days so I sorted myself with a backup but it was hard passing on this and I ended up licensing it and am about 2-3 months out from picking up the card. It is just now, after looking at the pictures again, that the need to 'do the right thing' got in my head.

It is the blued version with plastic grips and it came with the box, 2 original mags, test target, manual, and a letter from a foreign minister gifting it to the current owner. To the best of the current owner's knowledge it was not fired prior to his 8 rounds. Test target dated 1981.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    It is the blued version with plastic grips and it came with the box, 2 original mags, test target, manual, and a letter from a foreign minister gifting it to the current owner. To the best of the current owner's knowledge it was not fired prior to his 8 rounds. Test target dated 1981.
    That does make it very desirable, if you upload some pics, I can offer it up to guys in my collectors association, see if there is a nibble
    Any idea on what you want for it?

I recently saw an absolutely mint SP1 and Z88, out of a deceased collectors estate that were sold to a security company. If only I had dropped by the shop a week or two earlier. The P230 is a sweet pistol and with the box etc.

User

FN I don't know much about these things but I always imagined that other collectors would receive notice and rehome a collector's firearms before the general public had a chance to purchase them.
    Do collectors associations often send out for-sale lists?

I don't want to be a wet rag but I recently came across a person's list and when I requested his prices he asked who I am and then disregarded me. It gave the impression that some people prefer to keep their firearms in collector circles.

User

Thank you for the kind offer SF. I have no clue what to ask but any offer from a gun lover is appreciated.
    I will PM my number

User

Some pics of the pistol and its paperwork would probably wet appetites.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast