Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Competency renewal expiry date questions

Quote Originally Posted by Mahomedy13 View Post
    If the reason for refusal is expired competency, you can appeal and submit the revised act as part of the appeal,highlighting the relevant part.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the feedback. She still took my application anyway (its probably going to end up in a pile somewhere), but now that you mention an appeal, I wonder why one couldn't just add a highlighted copy of the new act along with your competency certificate that's already in the motivation?

Quote Originally Posted by leadingedge View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. She still took my application anyway (its probably going to end up in a pile somewhere), but now that you mention an appeal, I wonder why one couldn't just add a highlighted copy of the new act along with your competency certificate that's already in the motivation?
    You could, nothing stops you from doing so.

How did I not notice that the amended Act 28 of 2006 is clearly stated on your competency certificate printout? Went back to see the DFO today but only managed to speak to her colleague. Apparently my further competency (shotgun), competency renewal and new rifle application will be submitted at the same time. It appears as though the competency renewal is just extra assurance for in case the CFR get sticky, which I really don't mind as long as it doesnt delay my new application by being done separately.

When I did my SD renewal (and only had one gun) I had to do my competency renewal as well. As instructed by the DFOs at the time. I recently asked my new dfo as to how long the competency is valid and was told it is 10 years, from date of approval. Even though it is not mentioned on the card/certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by -=zv=- View Post
    When I did my SD renewal (and only had one gun) I had to do my competency renewal as well. As instructed by the DFOs at the time. I recently asked my new dfo as to how long the competency is valid and was told it is 10 years, from date of approval. Even though it is not mentioned on the card/certificate.
    To renew your competency at the time of renewing your only FA licence is actually correct.

Licence and competency run concurrently, and competency expires with the latest license it is attached to.

"The Firearms Control Amendment Act, no 28 of 2006 stipulates that the Competency Certificate remains valid for the same period of validity as the period determined in the Act in the respect of the licence to which the Competency Certificate relates, unless the Competency Certificate is terminated or renewed in accordance to the provisions of the Act."

A big issue for me is the lack of understanding that DFO's have regarding the law. This is evidenced in the experiences of members on the forum.

DFO in Brackendowns informed me, after my license expiring, and me enquiring as to the way forward to get licensed again, that I would need to wait for the next amnesty to reapply, as there was nothing they could do for me. I was also told NOT to hand my rifle in but to keep it (this was good advice, but I suspect more as she did not want the problem). Get to the Gansbaai DFO, who tells me, "what's the problem? There is provision in the act to cater for this". Submit for a new license and hey presto a couple of months later I am licensed again. I just had to resubmit my competency as it had also expired in the ensuing period before they would tend to the new license application. The renewals also needed to be wait for the competency.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    A big issue for me is the lack of understanding that DFO's have regarding the law. This is evidenced in the experiences of members on the forum.
    This 100 times over. In my experience of SAPS members over the last 15 or so years very, very few have the written comprehension ability to understand what the acts say much less the inclination.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4