Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default Competency renewal expiry date questions

My competency was issued in July 2019. There is no expiry date on my competency certificate printout I requested. The last handgun licence that was approved with this competency expires in 2032, for ocasional sport shooting.
    Now are my competency expiring in July 2024 after 5 years, or should it be valid until my last license expire in 2032? This question of when it expires is a requirement on one of the forms that I am busy completing as we speak. But what is the correct date as the expiry date is not printed on my competency certificate.
    I must now renew another handgun licence that expires in January 2024. My competency should be valid till at least July 2024 if I am correct? My competency only expires in 10 months but why must I renew my competency while it is still valid, when trying to renew my pistols licence that expires in 5 months.
    Is this how it works?
    Just making sure.

Default Re: Competency renewal expiry date questions

Technically my competency expires in 2030 as I had a pistol licensed not long ago.My DFO says however that the CFR works according to their owns rules sometimes so advised me to renew both competency and my license for a recent license renewal.Doesn't help much but there you go.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Technically my competency expires in 2030 as I had a pistol licensed not long ago.My DFO says however that the CFR works according to their owns rules sometimes so advised me to renew both competency and my license for a recent license renewal.Doesn't help much but there you go.
    My DFO had the same advice for me. He said just renew your competency when you renew your SD license, then it's done.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    So, weirdly (?), SAPS is part of the executive structure of government, not the legislative. They don't get to make law, that would be them trenching on the separation of powers doctrine (pro-tip... that's frowned upon!).
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Feels like a money making scheme

User

It is a incompetancy scheme enforcing things down the line. Had the same issue. Either pay the R84 and get the new application going or flight it and then get the application going who knows when. Maybe not the right way, but I only have some much time when I am home in SA.

User

I did a comp renewal a few months ago for a license renewal. As far as I can remember you could not hand in your first comp with your first license app but for a renewal you can. I can't remember the reason she gave.
    Either way it seems to be valid for 10yrs.
    Luckily for me all my comps where brought up to date even though I previously did them a few years apart.

I am sorry to stir but I agree with CFR that a comp is only valid for the specific gun applied for while the comp was valid.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    I am sorry to stir but I agree with CFR that a comp is only valid for the specific gun applied for while the comp was valid.
    CFR shouldn’t even exist.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Branden88 View Post
    CFR shouldn’t even exist.
    In fact... in terms of the 'actual law' (tm), they don't! There is nothing in the SAPS empowering legislation that authorises them to create a bureaucracy.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

I had to renew my competency when my first longest license expired.
    My competency was issued when I had to move to white card for my hunting rifle, so when I had to renew it, I was told to renew competency. Other subsequent applications and renewals were not an issue.
    So, it seems your competency does not extend with a new license. It stays 10 years, I guess

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast