Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Optics for self defense vs Olight laser?

Getting a G3C for everyday carry
    I have a Noblex Sight II plus intended for it

But is an optic really beneficial for edc?
    I have watched several videos about this, with mixed responses.
    Just want to get some more opinions

Im thinking of instead getting an Olight Baldr S
    In my mind, the laser would help acquire your target faster, then a red dot sight

Banned

Default Re: Optics for self defense vs Olight laser?

If you don't shoot production optics then don't bother...it takes many hours of training and practice to shoot a optic ...I think in most sd scenarios I won't even have time to turn it on....this is just my personal observation...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dooms View Post
    Getting a G3C for everyday carry
    I have a Noblex Sight II plus intended for it

But is an optic really beneficial for edc?
    I have watched several videos about this, with mixed responses.
    Just want to get some more opinions

Im thinking of instead getting an Olight Baldr S
    In my mind, the laser would help acquire your target faster, then a red dot sight
    During a couple of our club night shoots there was one guy with a weapon mounted lazer. In real life it didn't work for any of us who played with it. It doesn't help you to identify your target, it doesn't help you to shoot faster or more accurate. It might be a good intimidation tool that is all. Ok and it shows you how much you shake.
    If you can opperate your gun fast and accurate during the day, then get a decent edc flashlight first and after that a weapon mounted light. And then you practice with it. Why first a handheld light: you don't want to light up your wife, kid, dog etc with a wml when you hear a bump at night.

User

Personal opinion, but forget about the laser. It takes too long to acquire report from the laser to see where the muzzle is pointed to be effective at all. As a training aid, it can work. It will show you exactly what happens to the muzzle if your grip / trigger pull is wrong.
    I have a Holosun HS507C fitted to my Glock 45 so it turns on automatically whenever the gun moves. I do not have to manually turn it on at all.
    I use my Glock 45 as my current EDC pistol. No, I do not shoot optic production, but do lots of sight exercises and draws, dry fire exercises.
    My Glock is also fitted with a Olight Valkyrie 2. I also have a handheld Nitecore MT2C. As Vaal said, you don't want to point your gun at your kids or wife at night. The WML gives you options when you know exactly where the friendlies are located.

User

Lol not sure where you're getting your info from and whay rock these people are living under. All reputable trainers in the US recommend a RDS it allows for quicker target acquisition and follow up shots, allows you to be target focussed, single focal plane vs three focal planes with iron sight. The only downside is the cost and if you've always trained with irons you'll need to commit to a lot of dry fire to consistently find the dot upon presentation. It is 2023 all the duty grade RDS as recommended by Aaron Cowan on Sage Dynamics automatically turn on with movement. Another great trainer with loads of insight is Scott Jedlinski from Modern Samurai Project. In SA Holosun makes the most sense unless money isn't an issue then go for Trijicon.

Lasers are a gimmick and have no real place in EDC you will also struggle to find compatible holsters from reputable places. Lasers serve a purpose in LE when using shields but that is about it! Even WML's have limited functionality for civilians, John from Active Self Protection has delved into this quite a bit. If you're in LE then a WML is a non negotiable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn881 View Post
    Lol not sure where you're getting your info from and whay rock these people are living under. All reputable trainers in the US recommend a RDS it allows for quicker target acquisition and follow up shots, allows you to be target focussed, single focal plane vs three focal planes with iron sight. The only downside is the cost and if you've always trained with irons you'll need to commit to a lot of dry fire to consistently find the dot upon presentation. It is 2023 all the duty grade RDS as recommended by Aaron Cowan on Sage Dynamics automatically turn on with movement. Another great trainer with loads of insight is Scott Jedlinski from Modern Samurai Project. In SA Holosun makes the most sense unless money isn't an issue then go for Trijicon.

Lasers are a gimmick and have no real place in EDC you will also struggle to find compatible holsters from reputable places. Lasers serve a purpose in LE when using shields but that is about it! Even WML's have limited functionality for civilians, John from Active Self Protection has delved into this quite a bit. If you're in LE then a WML is a non negotiable.
    Are you saying guys like Massad Ayoob and Ken Hackathorn are not reputable? Because they don't recommend RDS for EDC...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Robinson View Post
    Are you saying guys like Massad Ayoob and Ken Hackathorn are not reputable? Because they don't recommend RDS for EDC...
    RDS has many advantages, the main advantage to me is when I VERY often see how shooters flick their gun around like a magic wand to try find the dot, and that provides entertainment, even top IPSC shooters, so no thanks not for me, If you carry with a RDS you better be able to find that dot on demand at any given time, so daily dry fire is a must, otherwise you just have a very cool looking handgun...

I literally carry with the standard Glock sights because even the best Irons rust (Dawson, trijicon) and that annoys me because the sight picture becomes un-even

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    RDS has many advantages, the main advantage to me is when I VERY often see how shooters flick their gun around like a magic wand to try find the dot, and that provides entertainment, even top IPSC shooters, so no thanks not for me, If you carry with a RDS you better be able to find that dot on demand at any given time, so daily dry fire is a must, otherwise you just have a very cool looking handgun...

I literally carry with the standard Glock sights because even the best Irons rust (Dawson, trijicon) and that annoys me because the sight picture becomes un-even

User

The optic I have turns on by itself. So no issues there
    Have also spoken to Daniel Holsters, who will be making a holster capable of fitting a WML (should be ready by the time my license goes through)

User

Looks like my opinion on a laser was wrong - always thought it would be much easier to find your target with that, as opposed to getting your optics focused

Guess it all comes down to practice at the end of the day....

Il wait till the firearm arrives and then practice with it. Was thinking of selling the optics since its brand new, but might be beneficial to rather practice with it first

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast