Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Looking for a fast accurate medium caliber heavy barreled commercially produced rifle

In the past, if the twist rate was too high, jacketed bullets would disintegrate when pushed too fast. This made it difficult to prove over-stabilization.

I would be quite interested to see someone do research with monolithic bullets. I presume brass and copper would need considerably more spin to be pushed appart by centripetal force.

Default Re: Looking for a fast accurate medium caliber heavy barreled commercially produced rifle

You do get more spin drift and greater vertical POI changes due to wind deflection. But again, these are mostly only issues at longer ranges than you are anticipating.

But as Janfred mentioned there is a significant risk of bullet failure, and you will have to limit yourself to very strongly-constructed bullets which may not be ideal for the lighter game you presumably also hunt.

Although it doesn't comply with your initial requirements, I am a little surprised that nobody has mentioned the .338 magnums.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    For a hobby and just because if I ever get to it and want to go for a custom job in medium bore it will be 8X68 S. Not practical or what you want, just telling what I would have done.
    I am not an expert, but I am the owner of an 8x68 S (although I haven't shot it that much yet) and I can tell you that it is also a possibility to look at. I have a few European hunting friends that swear by this caliber that regularly hunt out to 400 m distances. Only downside in SA is availability of brass and bullets. Most of the 8 mm bullets you get here are also somewhat on the lighter side (most likely for the 8x57 JS and so on).

Recoil on the 8x68 S is quite stiff, depending on the rifle's build. But for your purposes it might be manageable if you do a custom build.

User

A need requires a solution, but the solution must be based on the requirements of the need which must be narrowed down with facts, not feelings, for instance I have this rifle hence it should work for you as well, that is just me sharing whatever I use it’s not based on your reality.

Its simple this some criteria have been given, it must be able to reliably take animals up to eland at distances up to 350m, and it needs not be a light carry rifle since it won’t be used for that purpose.
    It must be commercially avail readily in SA at the Howa+ range as was stated.

Ok so it is going to be a well-constructed bullet that can be pushed fast and handle heavy impacts on large animals, but also take any game on the smaller scale. It’s not going to be a 6.5, simply not, it’s not a long distance eland caliber (nevermind cartridge). A 7mm is getting up there, but as mentioned precious few people make them these days.

This is going to be a 30cal cartridge shooting bullets in the 160gr plus -ish range faster than a 30-06, and while it may be a 300wsm it’s probably going to end up being a 300WM.
    You can buy the rifle, brass will probably be a one-time buy with good management, your local mono bullet makers will always cater for this caliber.

To sum up all those things it will probably end up being a heavy barrel 30cal magnum of choice fitted with a good suppressor shooting a 165gr mono bullet at about 3100 to 3200ft/s.

Habitat Africa in George is selling Howa .300 win mag rifles with a 26" heavy barrel and a target type laminated stock for R25 000. This gives you a .300 win mag with 26" barrel with 1 in 10" twist, which is about perfect for what you describe.

Reloading components are freely available for .300 win mag.

Banned

My concise "300WM" in post 11 was based on what the two gentlemen have confirmed in posts 24 and 25. It best meets the criteria supplied.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3