Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: 300 WSM is being killed, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Robinson View Post
    I don't do a hell of a lot of plains hunting, and perhaps as a result have always questioned the need for speed.

Seems to me it doesn't make enough difference to bullet drop that one can shoot significantly further without knowing what distance you are shooting at. And the moment you do know (which is now at least possible most of the time) then drop is not an issue anymore (assuming you have done your homework).

What these long, heavy bullets do gvie one is much reduced wind drift. And that is still important...
    In support, I have a friend that shoots a Howa 308 heavy barreled rifle for all his plains and long distance hunting. Although its considered a "slow" caliber, he shoots well out to 500m, but there is a catch... without the use of his range finder scope, none of the long shots he takes would be possible. But most guys in our area find that a flat shooting rifle is just that much more forgiving for the average hunter shooting longish distances (half the guys in our area shoot a 270 win). As an example, most of the guys that cull springbok in the Karoo shoot very fast calibers like .243 win and .204 Ruger. All head shots out to 300m. Hardly any adjustment is need up to this distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    In support, I have a friend that shoots a Howa 308 heavy barreled rifle for all his plains and long distance hunting. Although its considered a "slow" caliber, he shoots well out to 500m, but there is a catch... without the use of his range finder scope, none of the long shots he takes would be possible. But most guys in our area find that a flat shooting rifle is just that much more forgiving for the average hunter shooting longish distances (half the guys in our area shoot a 270 win). As an example, most of the guys that cull springbok in the Karoo shoot very fast calibers like .243 win and .204 Ruger. All head shots out to 300m. Hardly any adjustment is need up to this distance.
    Just for interest's sake, I did a little simulation exercise.
    My .308, with my current load (155gr Berger VLD @2713ft/s) compared to my dad's .270 Winchester shooting hot factory loads (130gr Hornady SST Superformance @3200ft/s).
    Maximum point blank range on a 6cm rarius target is 240 vs 265m. So just 10%.

For me, that's not enough to put up with the extra cost in powder, barrel life or even recoil.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not a one-rifle guy, and I don't have anything against guys who want to shoot magnums or wildcats or whatever else catches their fancy. I just feel they should understand both the pros and the cons clearly. And I feel that with modern equipment, there are in most cases factors in terms of rifle setup that are way more influential to performance than caliber. But if one wants a perfect caliber for a given job at any cost, don't let me stand in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath Robinson View Post
    Just for interest's sake, I did a little simulation exercise.
    My .308, with my current load (155gr Berger VLD @2713ft/s) compared to my dad's .270 Winchester shooting hot factory loads (130gr Hornady SST Superformance @3200ft/s).
    Maximum point blank range on a 6cm rarius target is 240 vs 265m. So just 10%.

For me, that's not enough to put up with the extra cost in powder, barrel life or even recoil.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not a one-rifle guy, and I don't have anything against guys who want to shoot magnums or wildcats or whatever else catches their fancy. I just feel they should understand both the pros and the cons clearly. And I feel that with modern equipment, there are in most cases factors in terms of rifle setup that are way more influential to performance than caliber. But if one wants a perfect caliber for a given job at any cost, don't let me stand in the way.
    I’ve come back to this same argument.

I moved from SA to Canada which meant a chance to sell off a rifle battery and start again. Sold my .243, my .303, my 6.5x55, my 308 and 300WM. These were all collections and opportunity buys and interesting calibers. In Canada I replaced all with a single Tx3 in .308W. In 150g bullets it does everything needed in the field, hunting everything I can afford.

Good for all medium sized game at hunting distances here. If I could get a Moose draw, I may get a bigger caliber, probably a 375H&H, but otherwise .308W is all that is needed for most hunts. But “wants” are something else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Love the 300WSM, but the lack of brass has also cought up with me. As I see it, Norma pops up in larger markets, SA sucks on the hind tit here. The brass manufacturers are concentrating capacity on the military and common hunting cartridges' first as they scream the loudest. The WSM will be back in stock at some point.

Zimbi is advertising 300wsm ammo at the moment, Norma 180gr Oryx.

Also 270WSM norma brass

User

Quote Originally Posted by aimpoint View Post
    Zimbi is advertising 300wsm ammo at the moment, Norma 180gr Oryx.

Also 270WSM norma brass

Ammo is generally available for the 300WSM, after a phone call or two. It’s just the price that is ridiculous.
    It’s the brass that’s currently like hens teeth.

Found this on Herlaai en skietbelange groep/Reloading and shooting interest group - Telegram

ADG Brass

Instock

6.5prc
    6.5 Saum
    7 Saum

Arriving soon

300wsm

Freeborn Arms
    +27 83 326 8290

User

We are proud to announce the addition of .300 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) and 6mm GT cartridge cases to our product offering in 2024.

Lapua cartridge cases are known to exceed the quality and longevity of all other manufacturers and are the #1 component choice of competitive long-range shooters, hunters, and reloading hobbyists. Available this spring, we will offer a superior quality 300 WSM case component for its loyal followers through authorized retailers. We only use the highest quality materials and manufacturing processes to satisfy the demands of reloaders who seek the highest levels of precision from their 300 WSM and 6mm GT firearm platforms.

Great news from Lapua!!!!

User

I would not hesitate to buy a 300WSM. Yes, brass is a problem, but plans can be made. As 300WSM is based on the 404 Jeffrey case, and I have even seen 404Jeff made from 375H&H cases (see elsewhere here on GS), plans can be made. It would not take much to make 300 Win Mag cases work in a WSM.

User

Default 300 WSM is being killed, and why?

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I would not hesitate to buy a 300WSM. Yes, brass is a problem, but plans can be made. As 300WSM is based on the 404 Jeffrey case, and I have even seen 404Jeff made from 375H&H cases (see elsewhere here on GS), plans can be made. It would not take much to make 300 Win Mag cases work in a WSM.
    Is the 300WM not belted? Gonna be interesting to see how that would be done.

Or are there 300WM without the belted case?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast