Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Paraffin for cleaning ?

Hi there
    I just want to know if someone can tell me if there is a problem if I use paraffin to clean a stainless gun? I collect stainless steel
    Rugers and when I buy a secondhand handgun or after using one a couple of times strip it completely and wash it in paraffin.
    The paraffin cleans the metal parts easily from oil, dirt and even powderblast with only the use of a toothbrush and afterwards air from a compressor to dry off the parts. Does paraffin contains ingredients that will harm the metal in ways? ???
    Thanks
    Hendrik. ???

Default Re: Paraffin for cleaning ?

I have never used Paraffin myself to clean firearms as yet but I have encountered people that do use it for this purpose and up to now, I have heard no negative reports. The only thing that I can think about is that as with the warnings on certain chemicals, like glue (to be carefull for a reaction), there could be a possibility for negative effects on synthetic parts.

User

I clean my guns the same way. works like a charm, no problems yet.

Important thing if using paraffin / kerosene is to be sure and re-lube the gun because it will take all the lube off during cleaning. It will leave a slightly greasy film but that is NOT enough!
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I also use parrafin for cleaning my handguns. No problem. Works very good. happy0065

Cleaning solvents will have no effect on the metal itself. Just be carefull if doing high volume rapid fire shooting, as any oils left on the metal can cause discolouration that's permanent (bare metal will do the same, just takes longer). Blued guns do the same but you don't see it.

User

Whatever you do, please don't place a blued gun in vinegar for extended periods of time, it will remove the bluing.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmm
    Whatever you do, please don't place a blued gun in vinegar for extended periods of time, it will remove the bluing.
    You talking from experience? :o
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Quote Originally Posted by FrankH
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmm
    You talking from experience? :o
    no, but a friemd of mine did just that. i thought that we could all learn from someone elses mistakes....:-))

User

Nothing wrong with paraffin.

Ed's Red is 25% paraffin, turpentine, acetone and ATF (auto gearbox oil). As I understand it, the paraffin and turpentine is polar and non-polar, the acetone eats plastic, and the ATF lubricates.

Paraffin is very useful for drying out a wet gun, and it leaves a protective coating, but it's not a lubricant, so you need to oil afterwards, if using straight paraffin.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast