Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Banned

Default Ed's Red - Make your own?

Quote Originally Posted by wrm View Post
    Nothing wrong with paraffin.

Ed's Red is 25% paraffin, turpentine, acetone and ATF (auto gearbox oil). As I understand it, the paraffin and turpentine is polar and non-polar, the acetone eats plastic, and the ATF lubricates.

Paraffin is very useful for drying out a wet gun, and it leaves a protective coating, but it's not a lubricant, so you need to oil afterwards, if using straight paraffin.
    All I wrote on Ed's Red is available. It discusses different formulations and what I used. Paraffin on its own is not the best you can do. You need both a polar and non polar solvent. The "protective" coating of paraffin is not very durable or useful for lubricating or rust prevention. Stainless steels have their own problems of lubrication requirements and this has been the demise of many stainless steel firearms from being manufactured. Rocket science? Then take my word or look it up.

http://www.gunownerssa.org/forum/vie...eb58e88a35400e

The original Ed's Red used the ADDITION of lanolin as a lubricant. ATF is not a very good lubricant. Note Ed's Red like many bore and metal cleaners needs to be kept off plastic, varnish and oiled finishes. It's not a general cleaner but can formulated to be nearly so.

Lanolin is what is normally used as a case sizing lubricant. Since I never used lanolin I never tried to source any when I made up a batch of Ed's Red.

Kerosene - "power paraffin" - Jet fuel or what ever was taken off the market due to abuse and very low sales.

But read the article I wrote when researching Ed's Red.

I have used Wynns Charge as a substitute case lube just because I had some and needed a case lube in a hurry. I also use Wynns Charge as a handgun lube. MoDi Grease I use on long term lubrication in hard to reach places. You can buy this stuff in tubes or cartridges for grease guns. It's a grey coloured grease.

If you want to find out how good a lube is under high pressure, lube a case and clean the die then start to resize it. Don't be stupid and ram the case in the die all the way or you may spend some time thinking of ways to get it out. Any friction or sticking on EXTRACTION says stop this is not good enough. And tungsten carbide dies are not the die to use for this test either. Sorry, these things have to be said because somebody is going to do it.

The problem I have with "gun products" is the 50,000% margins the greedy @#$% want to make on the stuff. But who can blame them when you don't sell it by the barrel full.

User

AAAaaaaaaaahhhhhhh, Ed's Red.....

Remember on reading of it on SAFF back then. Have been using this mixture as a general cleaner on all my firearms since. I use the non-acetone version as 'n "storing layer" and have not yet had rust problems, even on the barrels used far-to-not-often in the year.

Good stuff and cheap to make!!!!

B3.

User

Default Re: Paraffin for cleaning ?

I also use paraffin to clean all the metal parts on my guns, just make sure you lube the gun proper...dries out the parts.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr O View Post
    I also use paraffin to clean all the metal parts on my guns, just make sure you lube the gun proper...dries out the parts.
    Thread Necro much?

Am I assuming too much that you are just trying to hit 50 posts in one day for "Classified" reasons?

User

Similarly, methylated spirits are great for cleaning out oils from certain areas. However, would it be safe with polymer areas in Glocks?

User

I don't see why meths should not be safe with Glock polymer.

I would rather stick to what they recommend in the manual.

RHT Gun Cleaner, cheap, easy and does a great job.
    www.480bc.co.za
    EDC, Sport Shooting, Reloading

User

Paraffin is so 2009.
    Forward to 8 years later, and there are a whole bunch of properly developed products out there. Just use them.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

User

Twice a year I remove the bolts from my rifles and soak them in an ice cream tub with petrol.
    From all the hunting and driving in game viewers with rifles exposed to dust, it is incredible how much dust they pick up.
    That ice cream tub in black from the gunk that comes out of the bolts.
    Bolts are left to dry, wiped down after to put a thin coat of oil on and a quick spray inside the bolt to lubricate.
    Works well
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

I do it once in a while with my Glocks and AR. Slide/barrel/bolt go in an ice cream tub with paraffin and sit for a day. Gets into all the nooks and crannies im to lazy to clean in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast