Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: "AR" doesn't equal Assault Rifle?!

Quote Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
    Exactly how I had it until if found the above... FA manufacturers being their own worst enemy?

But does it turn into a "DR" when I use it for self Defence? Seems as if it only works one way...

Sent from my SM-A736B using Tapatalk
    FA manufacturers in the USA won't market or brand them as Assault Rifles, here's the same FA but they don't mention Assault Rifle anywhere in the description. There might be a couple of US manufacturers that do use that term, but I haven't seen it.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/iwi-...ck-xb18rs.html

User

So I have a Beretta ARX that is not a AR but uses AR mags, is it still a Assault Rifle?
    And is this not really the only A Salt rifle in production?

https://www.bugasalt.co.za/?gclid=Cj...BoCMNoQAvD_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

The basic mistake in the bigger scheme of things is a disrupted view of mankind. Some folks truely believe that man is a sensible, honourable, peaceful being. Therefore, things like violence are to be discouraged and preferably taken from society. Hence, an assault rifle is diabolical because it encourages violence.

This is so sad because it is hypothetical theory without any practical experience. It brings some old sayings to mind: Only a sharp sword keeps the peace. Strong fences makes good neighbours. An armed society is a polite society.

User

When gun enthusiasts are offended by the slight misnomer of their toys - by liberal folk, nogal - you've got to see the irony. (Because its not about the misnomer, but the underlying ignorance!) Grin.

User

If your AR is difficult and finicky, can you then rather call it a battle rifle? My Mini14 never gave me any difficulty, so thats probably why they call it a ranch or a bakkie rifle. LoL

User

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    When gun enthusiasts are offended by the slight misnomer of their toys - by liberal folk, nogal - you've got to see the irony. (Because its not about the misnomer, but the underlying ignorance!) Grin.
    Try calling a bullet a projectile or point and see them loose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I see your point Davidc.

User

Using clear language seems to be a lost art these days...

The term "Assault Rifle" is a direct translation from the German "Sturmgewehr". The inventor of this term is reputed to be one Adolf Hitler himself, when he witnessed the performance of the MP44, which was subsequently rebranded Stg44. The term denotes a select-fire (Single and Auto) rifle firing an intermediate cartridge and feeding it from a large capacity (30+) magazine. The AK47 and derivatives as well as the American M16 and M4 fits into this description. The semi-auto only AR-15 does not, as it is missing the defining select-fire capability.
    Full-power cartridge self-loading or select-fire rifles are usually called "Battle Rifles". The M14 and FN-FAL fit in here.

For those with severely lacking Google skills, the "AR" AR-15 stands for ARmalite.

I would say that those wishing to name all sorts of other objects "Assault Rifles" should go all the way and also grow funny little moustaches and wear red arm bands, so everyone can see who and what they really are.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Using clear language seems to be a lost art these days...

The term "Assault Rifle" is a direct translation from the German "Sturmgewehr". The inventor of this term is reputed to be one Adolf Hitler himself, when he witnessed the performance of the MP44, which was subsequently rebranded Stg44. The term denotes a select-fire (Single and Auto) rifle firing an intermediate cartridge and feeding it from a large capacity (30+) magazine. The AK47 and derivatives as well as the American M16 and M4 fits into this description. The semi-auto only AR-15 does not, as it is missing the defining select-fire capability.
    Full-power cartridge self-loading or select-fire rifles are usually called "Battle Rifles". The M14 and FN-FAL fit in here.

For those with severely lacking Google skills, the "AR" AR-15 stands for ARmalite.

I would say that those wishing to name all sorts of other objects "Assault Rifles" should go all the way and also grow funny little moustaches and wear red arm bands, so everyone can see who and what they really are.
    At the risk of being written off as an arch anorak. . . oops too late.

As far as I can tell from my reading Hitler was adamantly opposed to the idea of an intermediate calibre, which is apparently one of the reasons the STG retained the bore diameter and parent case of its Mauser parent and was initially given the MP44, i.e. Maschinenpistole designation. I've also never found a definitive source confirming that Armalite's AR prefix stood for anything although ARmalite seems more than reasonable give they were operating in the pre-3 letter acronym era.

The wankery about calling things assault rifles now seems mainly to do with whether you are trying to sell them or ban them. In the US, those wishing to ban anything black, and more recently beige and scary call it an assault rifle even when it's semi-auto only while those who want to sell them use 'modern sporting rifles' which is just about as weasley there since the overwhelming majority don't get sported with at all.

User

An extract below from the NSSF website.

https://www.nssf.org/msr/#:~:text=Th...0machine%20gun.

The AR in “AR-15” rifle stands for ArmaLite, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. “AR” does NOT stand for “assault rifle” or “automatic rifle.”
    AR-15 and other semi-automatic rifles are NOT “assault weapons” or “assault rifles.” An assault rifle is fully automatic — a machine gun.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast