Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lead Fouling: Pure Copper Scouring Pad

I have been shooting powder coated bullets in my competition pistol for a couple of months now, but realised that there was substantial lead fouling in the barrel.

I was able to remove 95% of the fouling using the traditional nitro solvent and nylon brush method, but it required several attempts and quite some effort to get where I am currently.

After a bit of reading, I would like to explore using copper scouring pad strands intertwined with the brush to get the last remaining fouling out. Unfortunately, both brands of the copper scouring pads I purchased today were of the coated copper variant, and failed the magnet test. Does anyone know where I can get pure copper scouring pads? I'm in PTA/Gauteng.

User

Default Re: Lead Fouling: Pure Copper Scouring Pad

I use Goldilox that I unwind and wrap around my copper brush. I threw away the packaging but I just checked it it is non-magnetic. Works really well. I still had a lot of lubed lead bullets that I finally ran out of and also cleaned by barrel recently.

User

I've never suffered the lead fouling curse from PC bullets luckily. As per DirkB the goldilox brand is non ferrous. Suspect that your bullet sizing is off for your barrel unless you are hot rodding the hell out of them. Even with iffy PC coverage and perky velocities I don't get leading in my 1 thou over bore sized bullets.

Thanks for the suggestions. I can't seem to find Goldilocks locally. Any suggestions where to look for it?

I have shot over 4k rounds of these bullets and haven't seen any fouling up to now. My PF is around 128. I did recently load with bullets that were pulled due to priming issues and used it in my practice ammo, so unsure if that had an effect.

User

I pillage the goldilocks from the washroom cupboard and I was thankfully not involved in getting them there. They would have come from a checkers, pnp or woollies in the sandton area if that is any help.

Reckon the pulling may be the problem but can't be sure as when I was developing my cast bullets I only pulled them to check for PC shaving and didnt measure them.

User

Are you also one of those that thinks that bronze brushes will damage the bore?

Turf the nylon brush and use a bonze brush with a solvent of your choice. Works better and faster than nylon with no need to go the scourer way. Just do not use with Ilosso or JB's bore paste.

User

I've found the goldilocks to be the ticket for cleaning the gas system of my gas op semi auto shotgun. Gets the carbon moving without hammering on the finish too badly. They seem to degrade pretty quickly but I think that's mechanical as I use home brew Ed's red exclusively.

Actually, I'm not. I was using a bronze brush after I removed most of the solvent. I was just trying to preserve the bronze brush from the solvent.

User

One can also use brass pot scourers if copper isn't available. Same magnet test applies to confirm purity of materials.

Thanks, I was wondering about that seeing that not many people mention using brass instead of pure copper. I was concerned about the difference in hardness, but will see if I can go that route.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast