User

Default Ase Utra Dual556 + Muzzle Brake

Good day guys,

a friend is considering one of the Ase Utra Dual556 silencers for a 16" AR and would like to know what other people want or got.

There is two lengths of this silencer and the one is a bit quieter and longer. The one adds 11cm to the barrel and the other 14cm. The short one reduces by 23db and the longer 25db. Which did you or would you choose? It is obviously a small length increase but I hear decibels is measured differently and I think the longer one is better for that reason.
    Please give me your opinion.

How much louder is a 1 dB increase?
    A 1 dB change in a sound equates to about a 26% difference in sound energy (remember that a 3 dB difference is a doubling of energy levels). In terms of subjective loudness, a 1 dB change yields just over a 7% change. A 3 dB change yields a 100% increase in sound energy and just over a 23% increase in loudness
    Concerning the muzzle devices I recommended the muzzle brake. Would you choose the same?

Many thanks

User

Default Re: Ase Utra Dual556 + Muzzle Brake

I use the AU Dual 11cm with the AU brake on a 10" barrel and it works sufficiently well for me.

I do not shoot without earpro so the few decibels are not a concern for me. Should I have to use the gun and AU without earpro for some reason I would still be comfortable to do that. I do not think the 2db less difference is going to result in a major hearing damage safety risk. I am also not sure that the plus 2db difference will allow you to shoot without earpro more safely over the shorter AU.

I prefer the shorter AU because I feel every bit of forward weight difference changes the ease of wielding the gun in free standing shooting applications.

The AU brake on the short barrel is loud but it will be quite a bit less loud on a 16" barrel. If the shooter is going to use the gun for run and gun applications I would choose the brake because it will have some muzzle movement control on follow up shots. If not the fh muzzle device will obviously be fine.

User

The earpro is a very good point...something me and my .22 didn't think about
    If I will be wearing earpro for both the weight and length is more important to me too.
    Thank you DS.

Sorry but what is the
    fh muzzle device
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    If I will be wearing earpro for both the weight and length is more important to me too.
    Thank you DS.

Sorry but what is the ?
    FH probably means Flash Hider.

As opposed to a brake.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    Thank you DS.

Sorry but what is the ?
    Fh = flash hider.

User

Thank you very much DS.