Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: HUNT GROUP MH12 - Fever Dream or practical firearm?

Zuku, I think you are on the money. It's cool and different, but probably not great as Ahmedoo raised from their hands on.

The protecta / striker is cool to me, as it's uniquely South African. I would buy one for kicks, but not for serious use.
    My understanding is that they work and shoot fine, but unloading and reloading is a pig.

Banned

There was a protecta for sale on our group for R4500...

User

In terms of mechanical innovation, this "double barrel pump action" scores zero points. It is just 2 normal pump guns made as Siamese twins. It might even have resulted from a glitch in the CAD program.

Ok, how would it perform in practical terms?

Should you arrive with it at a shooting match on the 2-way range, it will obviously scare the s#!& out of any opponent stupid enough to stare down it's barrels. 1 point for intimidation value.
    If your match requires more rounds than what a normal shottie holds, but not more than what this one holds, you have just saved yourself a reload. +1 point for convenience.
    Should your match require more rounds than what this thing can hold, you are in for a tactical or a speed reload. This is where the nightmare begins. While everyone else needs to fill one mag tube, you need to fill 2 of them. -2 points for being out of action for too long, and dead slow with your reload.
    This thing is heavy and fat. Well, basically you are holding 2 pump guns side-by-side. Same weight, little less bulk. -1 point for handling. Are you still counting?
    If you get tired of it's size and weight, and it gets left in the safe, so you show up at the range without it, you are out of the game. Don't pass by "Start" and don't collect your bonus points...

Ok, jokes aside. When I did a basic shotgun course ages ago, one of the basic drills was to shoot 2 rounds, load 2 rounds. The rest of the ammo in the tubular mag is kept there in case you have a bigger problem and can't reload. So you carry most of your ammo on your body and keep the mag tube full at all times. This may be possible with a double pump gun, but will require lots of concentration, keeping track of where your are. Under pressure, you will definitely try to pump out an unfired live round at some point. No, I don't think the extra cost, complication, weight and bulk serves any useful purpose. Rather learn how to drive a normal pump shotty well.

I can already imagine what Un-Holywood is going to do with this. Some transgender thing will carry it in the next Terminator movie shooting dragon's breath ammo all over the screen.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M80BHP View Post
    There was a protecta for sale on our group for R4500...
    ...which is still R5500 more than what it's worth.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    ...which is still R5500 more than what it's worth.
    Hear hear! Awful things. If I was a gazillionaire I'd buy one for the historical angle though.

Turkish. There is back-up ito spares etc. Good pricing (even better when they have one of their sales.
    https://safarioutdoor.co.za/catalog/...lk/category/2/

User

your experience with it mike? Good?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3