Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Norinco AK47

User

Default Re: Norinco AK47

I have an underfolder Type 56. It's awesome to have, makes for a great conversation piece at the range, and begs to be carried around in a violin case . I have yet to find an affordable violin case to modify.

However, it's relatively shit to shoot. the steel shoulder piece (you can't really call it a stock) is really not comfortable, it's really too short for a western physique (and I'm not big or really tall), its hugely pokey during reloads, and there is no easy way to swop it for an alternative, because the rear trunnion design is patently different from fixed stock guns. Make no mistake, the rifle is accurate (I've had 2MOA without support...) but the ergonomics is really crap.

When you buy an "AK" you have to be honest with yourself about what you buy it for. My primary motivation to myelf at the time was "I want an AK because cool factor"... the very first batch of T56s that came in were really inexpensive so it was a crime almost to NOT buy one. But be assured, a semi-auto's cost lies primarily in the ammo consumed, not really the base price of the gun (of course if you buy a multi-10K DD, this argument is different). At R7-R8 a pop, two 30rd mags very quickly becomes an acute pain in the wallet. And make no mistake, its NICE to shoot (yes I know this sounds contradictory to what I said above, but regardless of ergos, popping of rounds one after each other is grin-inducing!) so you burn through ammo and money quickly. Yes, you can reload, (I have, I've even reloaded steel-cased berdan-primed ammo, to prove to myself that it's possible) but practically there are no bulk bullet options in the calibre that makes it economical to do so. Yes you can cast and powder coat if you're that way inclined, I think it's the only way to make the economy argument work. AK's are however generally overgassed, and therefor tend to launch your expensive boxer-primed cases into the next postcode, meaning the cost of lost cases needs to be added to your per-shot cost.

7.62x39 isn't really am awesome running-&-gunning calibre, it doesn't make major power factor, but its got significantly more recoil than 5.56x45. Add the basic rifles crappy ergos and the reality is that you'll struggle to be competitive in anything like IPSC, 3-gun etc.

Please take the above as a summary if actual experience with exactly the thing you're contemplating buying. If you're happy to enjoy the gun within these constraints, then dont think twice about buying it. One may ask why I keep mine, and sometimes I ask myself the same question. Primarily I'd rather have it than not, given our licensing burden. Also, it wears some very pretty Bulgarian foregrips gifted to me by Skaaphaas before he left for Oz, so it now has some family-sentimental value. And really, I'm still looking for that violin case...!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mahomedy13 View Post
    Couple of reasons:

-The new ones are not here yet, only expected end of January. With the current licensing speed, they can buy and license before the new ones even hit the shelf.

-The factory its made in - factory 66 is the goldmine, 313 is next best. The newer ones dont state whuch factory.

-The person has the extra money, and doesn't want to wait.

No hard and fast, its supply and demand.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
    Thanks

User

Quote Originally Posted by ferty View Post
    I have also been eyeing the new stock that is coming in.

A question, how readily available is 7.62x39 vs .223? And is there a major cost difference?

No point in saving on the rifle, but paying through your arse for ammo and it's not always available.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
    I checked with 2 shops in Durban yesterday. Both had stock.
    1 place was R10.20 per round and the other was R12.50

Was quite surprised they that cheap, when comparing to around R15 for .223 and R9.00 for 9mmp

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    I have an underfolder Type 56. It's awesome to have, makes for a great conversation piece at the range, and begs to be carried around in a violin case . I have yet to find an affordable violin case to modify.

However, it's relatively shit to shoot. the steel shoulder piece (you can't really call it a stock) is really not comfortable, it's really too short for a western physique (and I'm not big or really tall), its hugely pokey during reloads, and there is no easy way to swop it for an alternative, because the rear trunnion design is patently different from fixed stock guns. Make no mistake, the rifle is accurate (I've had 2MOA without support...) but the ergonomics is really crap.

When you buy an "AK" you have to be honest with yourself about what you buy it for. My primary motivation to myelf at the time was "I want an AK because cool factor"... the very first batch of T56s that came in were really inexpensive so it was a crime almost to NOT buy one. But be assured, a semi-auto's cost lies primarily in the ammo consumed, not really the base price of the gun (of course if you buy a multi-10K DD, this argument is different). At R7-R8 a pop, two 30rd mags very quickly becomes an acute pain in the wallet. And make no mistake, its NICE to shoot (yes I know this sounds contradictory to what I said above, but regardless of ergos, popping of rounds one after each other is grin-inducing!) so you burn through ammo and money quickly. Yes, you can reload, (I have, I've even reloaded steel-cased berdan-primed ammo, to prove to myself that it's possible) but practically there are no bulk bullet options in the calibre that makes it economical to do so. Yes you can cast and powder coat if you're that way inclined, I think it's the only way to make the economy argument work. AK's are however generally overgassed, and therefor tend to launch your expensive boxer-primed cases into the next postcode, meaning the cost of lost cases needs to be added to your per-shot cost.

7.62x39 isn't really am awesome running-&-gunning calibre, it doesn't make major power factor, but its got significantly more recoil than 5.56x45. Add the basic rifles crappy ergos and the reality is that you'll struggle to be competitive in anything like IPSC, 3-gun etc.

Please take the above as a summary if actual experience with exactly the thing you're contemplating buying. If you're happy to enjoy the gun within these constraints, then dont think twice about buying it. One may ask why I keep mine, and sometimes I ask myself the same question. Primarily I'd rather have it than not, given our licensing burden. Also, it wears some very pretty Bulgarian foregrips gifted to me by Skaaphaas before he left for Oz, so it now has some family-sentimental value. And really, I'm still looking for that violin case...!
    Nice review

Im def getting it for the cool factor. Will keep it next to the Deagle .50
    And when you paying R60 a round for that gun, R10 a round for the AK is like pocket change

User

Quote Originally Posted by Dooms View Post
    I checked with 2 shops in Durban yesterday. Both had stock.
    1 place was R10.20 per round and the other was R12.50

Was quite surprised they that cheap, when comparing to around R15 for .223 and R9.00 for 9mmp
    Thanks, so quite a bit cheaper then!

Factory 66 was an original Russian built factory if not mistaken. That's why lot people have very high regard.

Quote Originally Posted by phant1m View Post
    Factory 66 was an original Russian built factory if not mistaken. That's why lot people have very high regard.
    It produced rifles for Chinese army so subject to military inspection. There was actually a batch of original Chinese military factory 66 that came into the country. They even had BNP British) proof marks from being in storage in the UK. These are extremely well built. Most of the current commercial rifles vary in quality. The underfolder is not great to use but quite workable. However when folded it actually makes the rifle awkward to carry. Wide and bits stick out out.

Quote Originally Posted by ferty View Post
    I have also been eyeing the new stock that is coming in.

A question, how readily available is 7.62x39 vs .223? And is there a major cost difference?

No point in saving on the rifle, but paying through your arse for ammo and it's not always available.

I dont think the T56 comes in 223. The Saigas do. There is plenty of milsurp 7.62x39mm ammo available at the moment, average around R9/round

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mahomedy13 View Post
    I dont think the T56 comes in 223. The Saigas do. There is plenty of milsurp 7.62x39mm ammo available at the moment, average around R9/round

Was referring to the T56 vs. one of the cheaper AR's available (Radical, SAI, Truvelo etc.).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast