Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Entry Level Scope Questions

Hi All,

Looking for a scope for my 243Win for hunting out to 300m.

Looking at the Leupold VX Freedom, Burris Fullfield IV, Lynx LX2, Vortex Diamondback ranges in a 3-9 or 4-12 magnification range. I like Leupold and I am not familiar with the other brands.

I like the idea of dialing - CDS caps in Leupold range - but not sure how practical and useful for hunting out to 300m vs say a recticle with hashmarks? Do the CDS turrets get bumped off often - can always reset to zero stop I assume?

I like the SAH recticle from Lynx.

Thank you.

User

Default Re: Entry Level Scope Questions

Get the Burris with the E3 reticle.
    Ballistic crosshairs work out to 400m and they have a no questions asked lifetime guarantee.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

What is the Hawke Vantage range like? Again not familiar with the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Get the Burris with the E3 reticle.
    Ballistic crosshairs work out to 400m and they have a no questions asked lifetime guarantee.
    Thanks, the model seems well priced

Be careful of BDC reticles with second focal plane scopes.
    Not saying they can't work, just saying be careful.

I have found it easier to aim off based on target size (although it takes a bit of homework and one needs to be careful on single animals in case it's a youngster) or dialling.

Thanks Heath, noted.

Banned

For shots 0-250 compensation is not really needed with larger antelope from Impala upwards. At 300m you are going to be using max zoom and that is normally where the BDC reticles are calibrated to be accurate.

Well you could also look at Rudolph Optics. They have a no BS lifetime guarantee

User

I wouldn't buy the Vortex. I have a Diamondback Tactical FFP scope, it works acceptably for what I use it for, holds zero (which ant decent scope should) and tracks very accurately. However, the optical quality is noticeably lacking when compared to all 3 decidedly entry-level Nikon ProStaffs I have on other rifles. Hence, I wouldn't buy an entry level Vortex new.

I've personally never been hugely impressed with Burris optics, but that's just me.

For hunting, I really prefer a normal Plex reticle. Often, at max magnification, and zeroed at 200m, the transition to the thick wire is essentially at 300m. For a 243 your requirements may however be somewhat different than mine. BDCs do work (at max magnification) but you have to know their distances, and as HR implied, that changes with SFP scopes.

For a hunting scope, capped turrets are an advantage IMHO. So are finger-adjustable turrets, it's a PITA cocking around with a case rim, trying to adjust turrets on the farm after checking your zero...

User

Not to talk you out of your scope selecting but a 243 out to 300m is pretty flat shooting. A plex scope zeroed at 200m is going to work just fine - I hunted for years with a 243 using a Weaver K4 zeroed at 200m and it worked great - literally if the animal is really close (100m or less) aim 2 inches low, if it looks like 250-300m, aim 2" high.

I know there are accomplished hunters that dial but I personally don't really get it. Hunting at less than 300m means the animal has a decent chance of seeing you, ergo you may not have 30 seconds to rangefind, work out dope and dial. And then you have Murphy's guarantee that you'll forget to reset/rezero and have a sitter at 80m that you miss high by 30cm. Yes some of the preset systems like the CDS and ballistic turrets simplify this and are quick to use. But IMO dialling is for precision shooting and long range work.

I think the BDC reticles are the best compromise for hunting. I hear the comments about magnification settings (fair point) but if you need to compensate, the animal is pretty far and therefore you're likely to be at max magnification already (and everyone know hunting scopes are 20x or less right ) So the BDC ranges are likely to be just fine at 300m. The plus of BDC is you can also just use the main crosshairs to aim off (compensate) if you need to take a quick shot or you can't remember which hash/cross-hair relates to what distance.

The Lynx SA Hunter works well in my experience - it's simple and if it correlates to your rifle/ammo combo then you're away. I use one on a 6.5x55 shooting 140gr Accubonds at 2800f/s which is zeroed at 200m and the 2 main sub-cross-hairs are dead on at 300m and 400m. It does help if the rifle is a tack driver.
    I also like the Swarovski BRH reticle but that's not really available in the entry level scope class. Punchline - simpler is better for hunting, avoid christmas tree reticles, especially in the entry level bracket.

Learning your trajectory and aiming off with a plex reticle can work fine too - with your 243 you're highly unlikely to be aiming off the 'hair' at 300m.
    None of the scopes you've listed, while great value for money, would be classed as anything more than average glass at best - would you be served better choosing superior glass and plex reticle in the same price band? Zeiss and Meopta come to mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast