Thread: Fire.

Default Fire.

What you don't want to see on your day off. This fire was caused by a lightning strike. Four of us managed to get it under control with leaf blowers while we waited for our staff, whom are all on leave, to get to the reserve.

Default Re: Fire.

I’ve had to brandslaan in the koppies between Philipstown and Colesberg and it’s no fun. A few men with those backpack locust sprays were life savers. Hope it’s your only one for the season. Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Louisdewet View Post
    I’ve had to brandslaan in the koppies between Philipstown and Colesberg and it’s no fun. A few men with those backpack locust sprays were life savers. Hope it’s your only one for the season. Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks and a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

User

Glad you got it under control. Did a fair bit of brandslaan as a kid with the traditional pole flapper but in hindsight would have given my eye teeth for a leaf blower. What a genius idea.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    What you don't want to see on your day off. This fire was caused by a lightning strike. Four of us managed to get it under control with leaf blowers while we waited for our staff, whom are all on leave, to get to the reserve.

Could you elaborate on your use of the leaf blowers to combat the fire please?

Quote Originally Posted by holdingthezero View Post
    Could you elaborate on your use of the leaf blowers to combat the fire please?
    Sure, we use petrol powered backpack leaf blowers for blowing out flames and clearing combustible material around burning shrubs. It works really well in short to medium grasveld, which is what we mostly have.
    As you would blow out a candle, this blows out the flames. Another person, with a backpack water sprayer usually follows behind to put out any smoldering material.

It does not work on burning trees or large shrubs, where it makes things worse. I have never tried it in really tall grass but I suspect that it would not be ideal there either. It is in short to medium ​grasveld where the leaf blowers come in handy, a few years ago we were still using flappers (as oafpatrol mentioned) and besembos to beat out the flames. One man with a leaf blower can probably achieve what 4 or 5 brandslaners can. Going up to a fire with a petrol tank strapped to your back is somewhat disconcerting though.

We do have several vehicle mounted fire fighters (500l water tanks with pressure pumps) but due to rocky terrain it is not always possible to get these to the fire.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Sure, we use petrol powered backpack leaf blowers for blowing out flames and clearing combustible material around burning shrubs. It works really well in short to medium grasveld, which is what we mostly have.
    As you would blow out a candle, this blows out the flames. Another person, with a backpack water sprayer usually follows behind to put out any smoldering material.

It does not work on burning trees or large shrubs, where it makes things worse. I have never tried it in really tall grass but I suspect that it would not be ideal there either. It is in short to medium ​grasveld where the leaf blowers come in handy, a few years ago we were still using flappers (as oafpatrol mentioned) and besembos to beat out the flames. One man with a leaf blower can probably achieve what 4 or 5 brandslaners can. Going up to a fire with a petrol tank strapped to your back is somewhat disconcerting though.

We do have several vehicle mounted fire fighters (500l water tanks with pressure pumps) but due to rocky terrain it is not always possible to get these to the fire.
    Thank you very much. I really appreciate the thorough write up.

Quote Originally Posted by holdingthezero View Post
    Thank you very much. I really appreciate the thorough write up.