Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: 7mm Rem Mag - Springbok hunting

Prone with bipod is great, but will really limit you. The springbuck won't see you, but you won't see them either! Of the +- 50 "voorsit"
    spots that I have have been allocated to, maybe 3 where amenable to prone shooting.

1. Important to sit STILL! Animals will notice you. If you start moving while they look at you, they'll run. If you sit still, they often loose interest and carry on as normal. Move when animals are not looking at you.
    2. Use what cover is available and try to stay in shade. Make sure that you don't have anything glinting in the sun.
    3. Keep you profile as low as possible. Take a low camping chair to sit on, or a high density foam cushion( sport stadium type). You will typically sit on a spot for 2-3 hours and you need to be comfortable.
    4. Take a height adjustable shooting stick that you are comfortable shooting off. I like the 4Deadhold-type(4/5 legged sticks with v support front and back for rifle). You can adapt them to most positions that you will face during a voorsit.
    5. Pack some wet Wipes
    6. Take some coloured cable ties. Work well to mark the animals that you shot. Just make sure other hunters have other means of marking, or different colours.
    7. If you have a rangefinder, range some objects that are close to your max shooting distance. Helps you to know when the animals are within your shooting limit without have having to move and range(and be noilticed)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

User

It’s hard to give advice on something that’s not happened yet, it’s easy for us to say either shoot prone or shoot sitting when only on the day the shooter will see where he is being dropped off, after which he will get an angle to shoot into, the farmer will say you can shoot from here to here to avoid overlapping shooting directions. You don’t know how long the grass will be or the elevation being shot from.

Shooters tend to lose the battle of patience more than anything else, they have no idea when or from which direction the animals will be pushed, I’ve seen so many people popping up or walking around to try and spot animals it’s not funny. I’ve seen shooters walk around a bush to look only for the animals to run past on the opposite side. That is compounded by the fact that people sit down for long periods of time and suddenly when the animals come running their heart rates goes from zero to non-hero in a second. Then others will say range your terrain but you know that old saying of Mike Tyson, everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face. When the animals come running tunnel vision kicks in most people cannot even remember which beacons they ranged.

Then we are not even on the topic of finding animals, where did you shoot the animal, I dunno, where did it fall, I dunno, I myself have walked back to my shooting position to get my line of sight, then walk back out to where the animal is, it happens, a lot.

I think it best to merely assign the simplest of homework, shooters must be proficient in all manners of shooting from field positions.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    I think it best to merely assign the simplest of homework, shooters must be proficient in all manners of shooting from field positions.
    This sounds like extremely sound advice to me. I have two mates who have shot lots of bokkies over the years or so but neither of them has ever fired their rifles except on bipods off a bench or bakkie shooting seat. If they were ever in a situation where something needed to be shot from any position other than that they's be at a hell of an disadvantage.

User

I would ask the farmer specifically if there is a place that you can shoot prone. Some farmers will oblige, and put the old toppies in the shade on a chair, and move the young guns to spots where they can lie flat in the sun.

Invariably you are facing one way, and bokkies come at you from the other side. Then you lie dead still, wait for them to almost trample you, they skrik when they smell you, and run off and stop at about 200m and look back, and thats when you move just the trigger finger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2