Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Competency Validity Periods

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    If no license is issued in terms of that competence category the competence CANNOT expire (not after 5 years, 10 years or a million years). That's literally what the Act says. Anyone suggesting anything else is just plain wrong. The Act was amended in this regard in 2006.
    Paul, I fully agree with you. However, our dear friends at CFR will likely need to be taken to court again over this, and even then they will apply (late) to appeal.

User

If no license is issued in terms of that competence category the competence CANNOT expire (not after 5 years, 10 years or a million years). That's literally what the Act says. Anyone suggesting anything else is just plain wrong. The Act was amended in this regard in 2006.
    Waaaaiiiit.....

So I get competency but don't buy a firearm -> competency remains valid indefinitely.

Flipside, I get competency, buy a firearm, sell that firearm immediately -> competency expires summarily.

I'm too dumb for this, for which I compensate by having multiple guns so my competency should never expire

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Waaaaiiiit.....

So I get competency but don't buy a firearm -> competency remains valid indefinitely.

Flipside, I get competency, buy a firearm, sell that firearm immediately -> competency expires summarily.

I'm too dumb for this, for which I compensate by having multiple guns so my competency should never expire
    Makes perfectly imperfect sense.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Makes perfectly imperfect sense.
    It's almost Joseph Heller worthy.

Still think the FCA should be thrown out in it's entirety and replaced by what the ZAR had in 1898.
    Something like "we the state will buy the most modern and effective firearms we can find on the world market at discounted prices and sell them to you at cost. As many as you like".

Seems like we have progressed backwards quite a long way in the last 126 years.

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    It's almost Joseph Heller worthy.
    "Catchy"...
    Unknown Barbarian

User

So I just got back from my DFO. My competency has no expiry date on it, but they said it is 10 years, and mine is about to expire in a few months. They still processed my new application, but said that I must renew it. Just for fun I asked what the purpose of renewing it, if there were no tests or exams or refreshers to be done. She said it was a pointless and waste of resources exercise that must be done, because those are her instructions from above.

I do wonder what happens if it expires before the valid licenses expire? do they become invalid without a valid competency.

It is disappointing that there is a shortage skilled people in these departments that don't know how to close the loopholes, and make the process more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Againstthegrains View Post
    So I just got back from my DFO. My competency has no expiry date on it, but they said it is 10 years, and mine is about to expire in a few months. They still processed my new application, but said that I must renew it. Just for fun I asked what the purpose of renewing it, if there were no tests or exams or refreshers to be done. She said it was a pointless and waste of resources exercise that must be done, because those are her instructions from above.
    Blindly following orders didn't serve the Nazis well at Nuremberg either.

I do wonder what happens if it expires before the valid licenses expire? do they become invalid without a valid competency.
    That can never happen. By function of law the comp cannot expire whilst there is a licensed firearm under that category... or it would invalidate the license... which it cannot.

Ignorant and officious public servants make me irate.
    Unknown Barbarian

If that is the only firearm of that type that you own then the comp expires the moment the firearm license comes off your name.
    So let's say I own no guns, then do the following: (let's say handgun)

1. Train, get cert, apply for competency, get it.
    2. Apply for 9mm S13, wait few months, get it.
    3. After 6 months I don't like the gun, sell it.
    4. See a new 9mm I want under S13. This is now roughly 18 months after point 1.

Do I now have to go do training, write tests and lodge new comp application again?

Quote Originally Posted by Stef1274 View Post
    Do I now have to go do training, write tests and lodge new comp application again?
    You just apply to renew your comp for handgun. The training, once completed, is assumed to already be in place.
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast